Cert/job advice for disabled?

MadlingMadling Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, your .02 greatly appreciated.

I just got my A+ certification because a "friend of a friend" Said he may be able to get a job for me with a government contractor doing basic stuff, but I needed A+ cert. to work for the government. Now that I have the certification "the friend" is having a hard time finding anything open for me. I understand my situation is kind of unique in that I am paralyzed from my neck down from an automobile accident, So I can't do a lot of 'Hands-on' work (so to speak).

I use the Lenovo SL500 W/ TrackPoint (with a mouthstick) to control the mouse as well as type, and I also use voice recognition software [DNS9] to dictate long letters, and I feel that I'm pretty efficient using the computer.

Going back to my old careers isn't an option (Police officer then property manager), besides I am interested in learning more about computers, and am considering taking the Network+/Security+ route to hopefully land something in networking or security eventually after I gain some experience. I created a website for a local business using Dreamweaver and Photoshop, but web development didn't really "do it for me" I think because I have a very analytical mind (Therefore I chose the networking/security route). I consider myself slightly above average "intelligence-wise", so I'm confident in my ability to succeed at what I set my mind to.

I have been advised by some online acquaintances that perhaps the CCNA would be a better route to take, as they believe It would help me achieve my goal of at-home work the quickest. I'm not opposed to going in to an office everyday, but with my injury it makes it incredibly difficult to travel everyday, so a at-home position is my end goal.

I'm interested to hear your professional opinions about which direction you feel would be best to achieve my goal of at-home employment.

Thanks for reading my post!

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome to see you are staying so positive and productive facing such a tough life altering event

Development is the first thing that sticks out, but it doesn't sound like you are that interested in web design at least. There are other forms of development that may require more analytic parts of your mind. That maybe something you might consider.

I think networking and security could be a great entry way and give you a glimpse into those career paths. We have a lot of smart guys/gals on this forum who are both in security and networking and could provide a good career path.

From your end are there agencies or organizations that can help job seekers in your situation find jobs? I know you have more insight into that world than I do.

If networking is what you are interested into then I would go for it. Network + and the CCNA would be the logic step if you wanted to go that route. I think it sounds like a great idea.

I'm interested in seeing the networking and security folks chiming in!

Welcome to TE!
  • Jacob18Jacob18 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hold on. I'm going to reach out to some disabled computer guys I know of.

J
    @madling. Haven't heard back from the brother of an old friend yet. He does programming and is in similiar shape. So I know it can be done. Along those lines a contact with cert body for what you want to do may be helpful.

So I'll make some suggestions. If you were a police officer and that's what I read. Contact wounded warriors, va, and dav. You may not qualify but they use subcontractors that could point you in he right direction.

Now to the question proper. You background tells me something about your mindset. Why not a goal of forensics or malware reverse engineering? Just a lot of typing like coding might not be good fit. I am not 'dissing coding, so don't anybody flame me. You get direct a team of penetration testers. I would assume you would like to catch the bad guys, even if you had to run them over in your wheelchair..lol

Just my two cents. Most people I prefer to believe would help someone trying to do well. Good luck and please keep us updated...

Meant to add. A+ is very basic. Ccna would be more marketable. Then depending on goal look to the suggestions you'll find here.
  • MadlingMadling Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @N2IT-

Thanks a lot for your reply!

It's not that web design was boring to me, I didn't really care for the sales part, and I wasn't sure if the creative side of me was strong enough. I must confess that I also suffer from a lack of knowledge of the entire IT field , in regards to exactly what is out there for someone with my disability. Although I am pretty sure that I wouldn't enjoy writing code all day since a lot of it would need to be done with my mouth stick which can be a huge pain in neck (literally). I have tried contacting work assist agencies for the disabled, and the closest one is in the next state. After a couple visits I figured out that they don't really assist you in getting a job they merely teach you how to be more efficient using computers, and help with your resume, etc. I'm still considering networking, but I think I would be best served doing more research on the topic.

@Jacob18-

Awesome reply! Much appreciated.

I would be very interested in hearing what your friend's brother has to say. Advice from someone with work experience, AND similar life experiences is priceless.

You are spot on with your assessment of my mindset. I don't think I would like ( or can physically do) typing code all day. I'm not quite sure what forensics or malware reverse engineering entails, but you have definitely piqued my interest and I can't wait to finish this post to research them more! Can you get into something like that without a degree? I guess at very least you would have to have some kind of security certifications, or relevant experience?

I also like your idea about contacting Wounded Warriors. I totally agree that contacting subcontractors that are already used to hiring people with my disability could be quite beneficial. This seems like a good lead to follow as well!

It appears I have some research to do.

Thank you both very much for your replies!
    @madling. going to pm you some contact info. Keep going and please keep us informed how you are doing. GIAC would be a good source and they are recognized. Degree? Maybe not. Certs? absolutely. It is a long road but keep the goal in mind.

J
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good point about the code and a stiff neck. I could see that being a problem after a while.

I think it sounds like networking would be your next move. Analysis type work imo would be the best type of work. Research and analysis of some kind. Maybe networks or security or the combination of both. I think Security + and Network + would potentially be a good route to go. Maybe higher level security if you feel like going that route. It's really hard to say without knowing all the constraints that present themselves at you.

As far as typing goes, what about dragon speak software?
    Jacob-

I appreciate the contact info, and advice! I'm going to check out GIAC to see how it could suit me. Thanks for your input!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think auditing/compliance work might work. Not all technical though a lot of attention to detail and writing though
    N2IT-

I agree, it seems like I'm narrowing down my choices to these two options, or a combination of the two.

I currently use Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 to assist in writing long letters or dictation, but it doesn't seem to work as well for writing code, as I tried to use it for HTML when getting my first website up. The accuracy of the product leaves much to be desired, and it seems more time-consuming than productive.

Yesterday, I found a government website that assists people with severe disabilities to get jobs through "Schedule A" appointments. This seems like it may be a good avenue for me when I get certified.

Tanks for the reply!
    tpatt100-

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but are you referring to the auditing/compliance of a network? I can do attention to detail, and writing doesn't bother me. Would you mind describing the job a little more in-depth, and best certification path?

Thanks!