Suggestions for Linux experience?

DomoSnatchaDomoSnatcha Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Forum! Noob here. :D

Can someone here suggest where one should look for Linux internships/volunteering to acquire experience? There seems to be non-existent market for desktop support (at least in my area) for Linux - which is heavily saturated by Windows. Usually on the Windows side you'd get A+'d then start at the bottom of the ladder. This is what I had considered first but I don't see any positions of the like in my area. Most of the positions I see on sites like dice/monster are way out of experience/position level.

Should I just lab it up, get the basic certs, then start applying for junior positions w/o real world experience? Or should I wait, get experience by way of what's mentioned above before certs?

Thanks

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There is no such thing as Linux desktop support. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I can't comment on Linux certifications because I don't have any and haven't looked into them enough; but I think the only way you're getting experience with Linux is by downloading it, installing it, and playing with it. I doubt anyone is going to let an inexperienced technician (ie at an entry level job) touch a live/production server in any useful capacity.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • DomoSnatchaDomoSnatcha Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote:
    There is no such thing as Linux desktop support. icon_wink.gif

Really? How come I see certifications from SUSE and positions in different states tailored to that on dice/monster? Surely there are businesses with Linux workstations for their regular users right? Unless their HR is ridiculously clueless or something - I don't see how there isn't such a thing.

REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

@Darthn3ss
    This is what I've concluded myself. I guess this is the only way to start up the ladder in the Linux world? If so, I'm completely fine with this approach.

If anyone else has input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think having Linux experience is a plus, especially in an environment that deploys half a dozen or more distros of it in their Enterprise/Business.

But I think the real money is in Linux System Administration. Certs that align with that are the Linux+/LPIC Series and the RHCA/RHCE.

Best advice is to get your feet wet playing with it either in a VM or install it on an old PC. Get familiar with command line.

There are a ton of resources and books out there to aid you. I want to get into Linux, but it'll have to wait for a bit.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really? How come I see certifications from SUSE and positions in different states tailored to that on dice/monster? Surely there are businesses with Linux workstations for their regular users right?
    It was a joke. There are surely some Linux desktop support jobs out there but relatively few compared to Windows desktop support jobs.

Try hosting companies. They may offer low pay for an entry-level role and you may have to work nights/weekends at first, but in turn they are more likely to hire someone without work experience with Linux.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    @spiderjericho

Good point. Yeah, I plan on moving up to a senior sysadmin role as it is my primary goal/passion. I was just trying to find a reasonable way to get there. lol I've done my homework and researched a bunch of books and already looked up the exam objectives from both Redhat, LPI, and Novell - so that's covered. I wish to take Redhats preparation courses as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

@MetholMoose
    Ahhh ok. lol :) Hosting companies? alright, I'll keep that in mind. What about community colleges? Would be another good alternative to look into? I live by a few community colleges, and will be going back to one soon to finish up some pre-reqs.

Thanks! This forum is awesome.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about community colleges? Would be another good alternative to look into? I live by a few community colleges, and will be going back to one soon to finish up some pre-reqs.
    For entry-level Linux jobs, you mean? Getting entry-level anything in higher-ed is difficult due to the limitless supply of cheap labor (students)... unless you're a student, of course, but student positions typically offer no benefits, low pay, and a part-time schedule. At least that is my experience, having worked for a couple such institutions.

Or did you mean getting some Linux training? In that case, definitely take any Linux classes you can. One of the best IT courses I've ever had was a Linux course at a community college. I had good Linux skills already so I quickly completed any lab and then focused on helping classmates troubleshoot the issues they ran into. People broke their Fedora installs in so many interesting ways so it was a great learning experience for me. With some coursework and maybe certs on your resume, you might be able to find a company willing to hire you.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV

I mean for an entry level job after grabbing a few of the entry level Linux certifications and labing for a little while. I apologize for the lack of clarity. lol
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    This might get traction over in the LPI/RHCE/SAIR forum.
    LPI, RHCE, and SAIR Forums

Have a look here for a good path to take:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/77172-linux-path.html

Good luck.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been fortunate enough to work with Macs for awhile. And, yes, I know that a Mac is not a Linux machine, but it did provide me with the opportunity to start off using the command line for a number of tasks. After that, I set up an Ubuntu file server at home in combination with netatalk and SAMBA so that I could share files between my Mac and Windows machines and use Ubuntu as a Time Machine backup. I also setup CentOS 6 machines to run DNS and DHCP servers for my network. Just from doing that stuff at home, I learned a lot about config files, file locations, different package managers, the overall hierarchy of a Linux system, permissions, setup a Ruby on Rails development environment, and just eventually got comfortable using the CLI instead of a GUI to do almost everything.

The best way to learn is, in my opinion, to just set out and do it. Come up with a problem to solve or something you'd like to accomplish, and figure out how it's done.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux, for sure, but after running through all those different tasks I feel much more comfortable just using the system. I've even had interviews for Linux positions, and even though I don't have professional experience with the system, I was able to answer their questions about the system confidently (I didn't get the position because they were looking for Database experience and experience with MS Server, which I don't really have). So, even if you don't have official "experience," don't count yourself out if you know how to do something.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It was a joke. There are surely some Linux desktop support jobs out there but relatively few compared to Windows desktop support jobs.

It was. Glad someone got it. :) I was on my phone so I couldn't easily edit it to make it more obvious.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???