How do you know how much you are worth?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
How can i calculate that? I usually go to payscale.com.

Comments

• healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i found that those websites are inaccurate.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, I definitely do not trust any of the "salary" websites. According to them, someone with the Network plus makes an average of 67K, CCNA's make 78k, and CCNP's only make 10k more at 88k. It's hard to make a salary database because everyone is so different, I can't look at your salary and expect myself to make the same just because we have the same role or certifications.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yuck is completely right. Websites don't take all the factors into account and they are usually wrong.

The best way to see what you're worth is to look at jobs around your area and see what they're paying for someone with your equivalent experience AND your equivalent education. Also, look at the amount that you're actually being offered when you get job offers. I could say that I'm worth 70K until I'm blue but if jobs in my area are only offering 50K and I'm only getting offers for 45K then...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Jacob18Jacob18 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not trying to be snarky but the only correct answer is what is someone is willing to pay.

Web sites should show a range and taken with a grain of salt the size of a bowling ball. Cars cost between 16k and 100,000 In your area. Big differences. Others in forum can probably tell who to talk to to get an accurate number for your area.

Maybe a temp service? They pay you a lower amount than they charge the employer. That higher amount may be an accurate amount, with variables of the job interview, etc. because this is based on economics not a survey. just my .02.

Iris, great answer btw.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You're worth what others are willing to pay. Get a few offers then you'll know for sure. If you can't at least get a few of them then you might not be worth very much.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Might try glassdoor.com as well. However, they have a limit on how many page views you can do for some sections like company reviews and anonymously-reported salaries. You can work around that by running an Incognito session (in Chrome) just for them and when they expire you out, save the URL and restart from there with a new Incognito session.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go to indeed.com. Type in your title/best cert, your area zip code then hit search. It'll give you a pretty good idea how much you're worth.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just be careful, those numbers are usually inflated.