what route to go? MCITP(MCSE) or CCNA first

TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
Hi, I just discovered this forum. Looks like it has really helpful information about cisco.

I am about to graduate with Computer Engineering Associated degree in mid July after summer classes. I also have Associated degree on computer programing from 2004. I am residing in NY. I plan on going to The Technical Institute of America , they are located 45min away from me.

My question is
I am planning to get CompTia A+ end mid July. THen i am gonna go either CCNA or MCITP. My goal is to get specialized on Cisco Security. So should i get MCSE or skip it and get cisco certified? TIA has 8 day training camp, and i know about 40% course curriculum. I can probably get that before Semptember then focus on Cisco stuff.

But will Microsoft certificate help me to get cisco job without experience?

there are also other options like

get A+, then Network+, then Security+, then MCSE, then Cisco.

what makes sense? I am also planing to go 2 exam route, but i will decide after taking the course at the TIA.
WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)

Comments

• hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know too much but I can try to answer.

A+ is a good starting point. Microsoft certs will not really be a help if you want to work with cisco products but, Cisco certs will help with that. MS certs are more for managing MS servers and databases while cisco is more working with and configuring cisco routers. I hope that helps.
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    It all depends on the end goal and the desired position. If you know you want to do Networking, the CCNA would be the best start. Security? Security + would be the best. I'm not 100% on the M$ certs but the MCITP seems to be pretty desired.

Knowing what you want to do/learn is half the battle.
    -A+ is great for knowledge for anyone new to IT.
    -N+ for networking. (Unless a job specifically wants N+ over CCNA, I'd go CCNA.)
    -S+ for security.

If your goal is Cisco Security, you have to pass the CCNA and then the Security track. I'd say go for it. Skip the M$ stuff. Microsoft Certs will not get you a Cisco position.
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I agree, why would you take MS stuff to land a Cisco job? If you want to get into networking, then you'll definitely need to pick up CCNA at minimum. I'm not saying that you can't find a job that will offer you both world's but if you're looking to apply for network technician, NOC technician, etc. I think going with Cisco stuff first before going with MS and vise versa.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Thnx for the reply guys. I decided to get A+ i know most of the stuff. Without studying it, i get %72 on official COmptia practice test. And other bunch of practice test. I am gonna read Mike Myers A++ book then take the exam. Then will move on to Network+. THen i will go to CCNA. Hope at that point i will be able to find some kind of JR. CCNA jobs. In the future i will go for security, but after i land on a networking job.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Both are good, which are you most interested in
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I would really check the jobs in your area before you decide to throw away the MS certs. Seems like a lot of the jobs in my area people are doing both network engineering and server work so both certs might help you more than just one. I think about the only places left where people on do one role might be medium to large corporations. It might be tough landing a job doing just network engineering when you are first starting out.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD