Opinions on which certifications I should remove

2»

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    Maybe I am just being ignorant and stubborn but I feel like you guys are saying too much education is bad.

Listing all of OPs certs is like stating, "I have a 4 year BS degree, minor in art history and I graduated from HS."
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Dave is completely right. All that irrelevant BS takes up valuable real estate on your resume and it's NEVER good to make it look so full that it's harsh on the eye. If you're applying to be a senior network engineer or a CTO, no one cares about your A+. In fact, it might look like you're trying too hard if you're trying to draw attention to every large or small accomplishment
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm going to take the approach of removing most of the CompTIA's from my resume along with MOF V4 (nobody knows what it is anyway).

Project + is coming off no need for it. Security + and ISO 27002 ISIS F has me confused. Which one supercedes the other? Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the great information, this has been a great learning experience.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My rule of thumb is to list things that are relevant and show a progression. For instance, my resume reads as such:

Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) - 2011
    Cisco Certified Network Professional: Security (CCNP Security) - 2011
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) Enterprise Administrator -2010
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) Windows Server 2003 - 2010
    Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) - 2010
    Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - 2008
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) Windows 2000 - 2002

If it is relevant, I will list my Exchange specialization for the MCSE... and when I am done with my MCITP EMA 2010, I will list it.

Otherwise, I show things that build a history. I don't list minor items that build up over a year or so, like MCP, MCTS, MCSA, or CCNA Security, as they are surpassed by another one rather quickly. I would list them if I hadn't superseded them, yet. Also, if I had competing certifications from different vendors, I would only list the leading one, or the relevant one. So, I would drop that MOS v4 since you have ITIL. My Microsoft transcript is over four pages long, these days... a lot of wasted space on it, but it does show that things can be condensed. If I get the PMP and start going for most senior technical position or managerial, I will only list MCSE once, and the date first achieved. I may also get rid of the dates, as well... that way I can just list my CCNP Security and not worry about the CCNA to show the years in between.

Basically, you want to show valuable things, but you don't want to list out the minutia and having someone in the know be thinking about the resume bloat in the back of their mind.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, I list my credentials last on my resume. I have an summary paragraph at the beginning that I use to highlight the things most relevant to the position and get the proper alphabet soup through the search criteria. Next is the experience, which is the most important to the interviewer. Then, credentials.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Education and certification have their own page on my resume. Relevant experience comes in much earlier on mine.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    T agreed there

Experience comes first and foremost no question about that.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    remove the RHCE and the CCIE
    no need for those
    meh
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    remove the RHCE and the CCIE
    no need for those
    That was random.. icon_rolleyes.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Education and certification have their own page on my resume. Relevant experience comes in much earlier on mine.

+1

A problem with leaving out certain certs, is that there are HR people out there that don't realise certain things, eg you can't have a (old) MCSE without being a MCP.

Also, just because you have your MCSE/MCITP doesn't mean you know server hardware, eg Server+ (which covers hw) vs MCSE/MCITP