Options

Security+ Beginner

levatatinggoldfishlevatatinggoldfish Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started an IT program at a community school. Although my teacher is very sharp and knows his stuff he blows through the topics at a rather fast pace often leaving me with a vague understanding of the topic. Now i seem to have a vague understanding of alot of things but i dont really understand anything in depth (SQL,ARP,XSS) What im really asking i guess is what topics should i focus on to be prepared for the Security+ Exam. I need somewhere to start. Do i need to be able to write HTML and JavaScript or any other codes? Any input would help.

Comments

• Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    No, you do need to be able to write javascript or SQL queries for the exam. You also don't need to be able to be able to analyze that code.

I always look at the education process as being *on* me. What I mean is that it is up to me to make sure I comprehend the material. If I had an instructor that covered something that I was not clear on then I would ask questions. Of course, this means that on my part I have done the required reading before coming to class. Finally, when I come across something in my reading that I don't fully understand then I start Googling. I might even start with Wikipedia to get an overview of the topic. Regardless of the negative reputation that Wikipedia can have, a LOT of the technical articles are fantastic.

Security+ covers a lot so you aren't going to be an expert in all area. Rather, you need to know a lot of things a fairly high level and some more deeply.
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    levatatinggoldfishlevatatinggoldfish Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Carl. My problem is not due to slacking on my resources. Im caught up with my Security+ book, infact i've got a 95% in my class. I feel as i can tell you alot about Security but i cant actually DO anything, and thats not good enough for me. For example, I understand SQL injection and ARP poisoning but i cant prevent it or actually do it. I dont want to end up getting through this course just knowing terms, i see it happen all the time.
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    Ah, I see.

Preventing SQL injection is really about coding the web application. As such, it really is on the programmers as opposed to the security guys to actually implement the preventions. As I understand it the very best practices to prevent SQL injection are:

1. Escaping input not just sanitizing the input
    2. Using stored routines in the DB

See this link for a lot more:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/SQL_Injection

You'll have to do some Google searching on preventing ARP poisoning.
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    dneffdneff Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want to see some of the attacks and vulnerable code in action there are code suites and software you can download and play with. Check out the Professor Messer videos on youtube. I dont remember in which videos exactly, but when he uses a tool or code he will provide the name of it and often where it can be obtained. These attacks make a lot more sense when you can see a demo of it rather than just reading and thinking you get it.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security+ is a high-level certification covering a lot of theory and fundamental core concepts. Understanding web application security issues at a detailed technical level is more or less outside the scope. It doesn't hurt to gain a better understanding of it, but if you're looking specifically at Security+, then expect those kinds of topics to be drilled down in other study / certification programs. Knowing how to interpret code or analyzing traffic for abnormalities are highly specialized areas that aren't expected at the beginner level.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□

Totally agree with Docrice on this one, the Sec+ is an entry-level cert, all those other goodies you are asking about are covered in some respects by other certs. For the most part <as far as I can tell>, much of the programming, scripting, etc, etc, you may learn either via those particular certs, but perhaps even more so on the job or from your own experiemental experience. Don't be in too much of a hurry to learn it all at once, as it does take considerable time and patience, plus it sounds like you are your own best teacher, so use this enthusiam wisely.

The Sec+ exam is not particularly difficult if you have some of the basics covered, any networking experience you can gain in the meantime would be a huge advantage along with things like storage (RAID, etc) and DRP's, VPN's, firewalls and the like. Much of the security exam seems focussed on management as well as the technical aspects of infosec. Once you have your head around these and encryption, ports, security protocols, and attacks and risk management for mitigating attacks, you're almost there, perhaps after that a few practice exams should let you know what to work on. Besides that, you have a truckload of support from this forum and many are happy to share their exam experiences and notes to lend a hand. Many of us are self-taught and self-studied our certs, we know what it takes to pass and have developed our own method of study.

I would say it's a good idea to read before any class, I have only ever personally taken a few and found I learn't more from self study and research along with some real world experience. Also grab a copy of the exam objectives from the CompTIA website and cross them off as you understand each concept, this way you wil have good coverage of what to expect.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    H3ckH3ck Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in the process of working on my Linux+/LPIC-1 and Security+ certifications. I have experience with the CCNA curriculum, understand the core concepts (although I only got a technical certificate and not the actual CCNA certification... yet) and I work in the web hosting industry with a firm understanding of network infrastructure.

Getting to my question, I see in the CompTIA suggested prerequisites that the Network+ is recommended. My question is, Do I have to take/pass the Network+ to do well on the Security+? I'm planning on finally taking my CCNA in the near future and if I don't have to take Network+ (invest in it as well), I'd rather not do so. Just want to make sure that it wouldn't hinder me while preparing for Security+ exam.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    The N+ is not required but since theres a bit of overlap it would help, but since you'll be taking the CCNA you likely already know the overlapping material. Theres quite a few posts even on this forum where they said they passed the S+ without ever taking the N+.
    Besides from what I understand, the CCNA is far more valuable than the N+. So as long as you pass your CCNA I wouldn't worry about it :)
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    H3ckH3ck Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @paulgswanson I noticed you are from Jax. I'm in Orlando. Cool stuff. I debated getting the A+ but am too cheap to purchase the two exams. Would you say it was definitely worth it? (versus it be a common requirement) Would it help at all toward other exams?
  • Options
    @H3ck
    Well Im in a position at work where the A+ does me no good whats-so-ever. I basically do Local Desktop Support. Our Hardware vendors do all the A+ stuff (which for the record pisses me off, being as Im far more qualiified). I basically took it as resume fluff (just for interviews) since my XP speaks for its self. :)

If you want to play with hardware yup totally worth it, since it almost guarentees you a position in the interview stack with it. Then the rest is up to you.

If you're having isues getting interviews it is worth getting. Otherwise I'd say dont bother, it didnt even get me a raise and when I started and I didnt have a single cert.
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Being new also to the IT field; I would SUGGEST that all Padawans take the A+, Net+ Sec+ just to get immersed. A+ is straight hazing; requiring much in the memorization of piles of definitions and concepts; if the 2 CompTIA volumes I received from the class are anything to go by!!! The real question for newbies is which after the Sec+? Microsoft or Cisco cert?
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    DEC901 wrote: »
    I would SUGGEST that all Padawans take the A+, Net+ Sec+ just to get immersed.

OK, I'll bite. What's a Padawan?
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what I call a newbie to the IT field, which of course I am one!!! icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Thanks for the definition. At any rate, I agree that starting with with the foundation of these three certs helps people get immersed into IT. They help people build a solid foundation and also help people get an idea of what they enjoy in IT.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The man who posted above me makes a nice book to get your feet wet which aligns with the testing material.

If you want to go for Security +, then go for it. A+ won't help much at all IMO, and Network + can, but isn't required. If you have a interest in security, then take Security +. Get a good book, focus on the material and ask a lot of questions.

Besides you are in a community college taking courses. That will answer a lot of the questions Network and A + would of answered and give you an overall taste of IT in general.

Good luck on your Security + journey!
  • Options
    I second about Darril book. I grabbed both 201 and 301 version(only plan on taking the 201 though). They are a pretty smooth read which is more than I can say about other cert books
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Carl. My problem is not due to slacking on my resources. Im caught up with my Security+ book, infact i've got a 95% in my class. I feel as i can tell you alot about Security but i cant actually DO anything, and thats not good enough for me. For example, I understand SQL injection and ARP poisoning but i cant prevent it or actually do it. I dont want to end up getting through this course just knowing terms, i see it happen all the time.

Honestly, thats all the CompTIA exams are about...knowing terms. In fact thats why a lot of employers dont take CompTIA too seriously, because it doesnt mean you actually know how to DO something.
    Dont let it get you down though. Keep studying and get some hands on work in an area that you find interesting, like Network Engineering!!!
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    H3ck wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of working on my Linux+/LPIC-1 and Security+ certifications. I have experience with the CCNA curriculum, understand the core concepts (although I only got a technical certificate and not the actual CCNA certification... yet) and I work in the web hosting industry with a firm understanding of network infrastructure.

Getting to my question, I see in the CompTIA suggested prerequisites that the Network+ is recommended. My question is, Do I have to take/pass the Network+ to do well on the Security+? I'm planning on finally taking my CCNA in the near future and if I don't have to take Network+ (invest in it as well), I'd rather not do so. Just want to make sure that it wouldn't hinder me while preparing for Security+ exam.

If you are going to get a CCNA I would forget about N+. CCNA for exceeds Newtork+ in value.