Home Lab Question

StephenOteyStephenOtey Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings,
I am getting ready to start studying for mt CCNA and have found a few piecwes of gear:
2501, 2502 and 2507 Routers
a couple of 2924XL Switches
I am going to max out memory on all but have no idea where to get IOS files from.
I know this may be a lame question but please humor me with an answer.
Steve

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    you got the gear without the images?
    thats ...rare

Ordering Cisco IOS Software and Managing Licenses - Cisco Systems

You have to buy the images from cisco.com
    meh
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So you are sure the devices don't have IOS on them? Never heard of that.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    like everyone else has chimed in, i doubt you of all the equipment you have, ALL of them lack an IOS image. and even with that, might i direct you to google if you're really stuck *wink* *wink*.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • StephenOteyStephenOtey Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They have an IOS on them but they're 11.1 and older. I would like to upgrade to a newer version. I did contact Cisco and they said the devices have reached End of life/End of support phase and can't be supported.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think 2500 series are ok, but at this point in time get some 2600 series routers and 2950 switches off of eBay. Those 2500 and 2900XL models are really dated and don't have the same command sets as the current IOS versions.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    docrice wrote: »
    I think 2500 series are ok, but at this point in time get some 2600 series routers and 2950 switches off of eBay. Those 2500 and 2900XL models are really dated and don't have the same command sets as the current IOS versions.
    Good to know, just spotted a CCNA lab on ebay. C2950 and 2 * 2600 routers. Price is $30 right now included postage (I'm English so I just converted price from GBP).
    Looks like there isn't any WIC-1T cards though but they aren't expensive on ebay it seems. The guy is selling on behalf of a friend so there is no details about the kit. Bidding ends tomorrow, if I win I'll probably get another router anyway so I have 3.

Edit: Seems like the routers are 2651s. Trying to find out about them (how many serial ports they have).
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • StephenOteyStephenOtey Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight as I am only trying to learn more and I can't seem to learn without making a mistake from time to time. I too looked on eBay and found a couple of 2600 routers and 2950 switches that I plan to pick up. I will use the gear I have now to practice some basic things and by adding more gear can expand and hopefully do some cool things. This adventure, I'm sure will lead to many more questions. Thanks to All for responding!!!
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think 2500 routers support 12.4 IOS so I wouldn't get them....well, my complete answer is not to buy ANY routers and use GNS3 instead...but some people insist on buying equipment....

2950 switches are pretty cheap, I'd go with 3 of those. The images can be found with a google search, just look on Cisco's site what the latest version is for whatever switch you are looking to buy.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was looking for a 2511 and came across a sweet deal for only 45 bucks.

I already have a 2-2811s, 2 1721s and 1 1841 and needed a 2511 as a console server, after months of searching i finally found one and the deal is pretty sweet.

The seller also included a 2501, 2513 and 2514 + the 2511.

Now am not sure what i will do with these routers but i will surely think of something. But its great that my long search paid off and i now have a 2511 :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]