2 routers - RIP (packet tracer)

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
Hey guys, first post here after reading the forum for a few weeks.

Got my icnd1 this Friday, been doing lots of revision over the last few days. Watched all of the CBTNugget videos, done packet tracer exercises and read through the Cisco network acadamy as I am at college.

I have this network which I had to create for college using static routes, I want to try and change it so it's using RIPv2.

Router 0 shows the 2 remote networks.
R    172.16.0.0/16 [120/1] via 10.1.1.1, 00:00:18, Serial0/1/0
R    172.20.0.0/16 [120/1] via 10.1.1.1, 00:00:18, Serial0/1/0

The ISP router though isn't picking up the remote networks via RIP. I guess I have entered the IP address into Router 0 RIP config wrong but I am unsure what.

If anyone could take a look it would be greatly appreciated!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67409120/RIP%20router.pkt

Oli

EDIT: I just tried to ping the PC and server on the ISP side from the 2 PCs connected to Switch 1 (Router 0) and the pings just time out. Which I don't quite understand either.
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cannot get into the privilege mode of router 0 as you have a password for it...
    It will be great if you share the enable secret/password for the same...
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Totally forgot about that sorry. Password is class as far as I remember, if not it will be cisco

thanks
    Lab:
  • StarkyStarky Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    router0 is missing the version 2 command? Once I added I could see the route on the ISP router....
  • Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Starky is correct... as router 0 is sending only version 1 updates while ISP router is receiving version 2 updates only...the other way around it is ...Turn of auto summarization for RIP on ISP router and it should start working in the blink of an eye :)
  • StarkyStarky Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starky is correct... as router 0 is sending only version 1 updates while ISP router is receiving version 2 updates only...the other way around it is ...Turn of auto summarization for RIP on ISP router and it should start working in the blink of an eye :)

I learnt something there, that works as well. Cheers :)
    I swear I had set both as v2! Maybe I didn't save... Who knows. Basic mistake then.

What about the ISR LAN network? 192.168.1.0 or whatever it was. I assume as I can't setup any routing protocols in packet tracer on the ISR, the laptops can connect remotely but no one else can connect to them?

Thanks
    Lab:
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oli356 wrote: »
    I swear I had set both as v2! Maybe I didn't save... Who knows. Basic mistake then.

What about the ISR LAN network? 192.168.1.0 or whatever it was. I assume as I can't setup any routing protocols in packet tracer on the ISR, the laptops can connect remotely but no one else can connect to them?

Thanks

I messed with this a bit. I changed Router0 to RIPv2, added no auto-summary. It took a few minutes, but got good pings all the way around.
    Got 899 on my ICND1 :D Needed 804. Found it easier then I thought it would be.. had 6 minutes remaining on the clock. I got 0% on "Explain and select the appropiate administrative tasks required for a WLAN" :p
    Lab: