Options

What an exciting time to get in to IT!

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
Fist of let me state that I have not yet broken in to the IT field, I passed my 70-680 and have my 70-685 next tuesday, I have also read through a Network+ book and will be ready for that soon...so I'm knocking on wood for my opportunity. Having read the Network+ book however I must say that a lot of new doors were placed in my line of sight. Prior to the book I was under the vague impression that it was Hardware guys and Software guys with a big thick black line between and you just picked a side. I was very pleased to see that there are so many different options and specialties for one to go with especially at this current point in time.

Now this could just be how the IT field always is given its constantly evolving nature, but I get the impression from what I have learned so far that we are on the verge of a technical transformation where things will be changing very rapidly and those with the right niche are in for some exciting opportunities. With things like IPV6, Virtualization, and the cloud (which could hurt the job market but none the less will provide some exciting positions IMO) ready to show their true potential, this is an exciting time indeed to be beginning a career in this field.

I would like to hear from some IT pros and find out your thoughts as to whether this is just an over reaction to something that is completely normal or if anyone else shares my excitement. Also are there any other new big ticket niches that you guys see being widely implemented in the near future?
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I'm glad someone is positive about the market outlook, must be that "Minnesota nice"! Yes there will be changes, some will excel and some will fail. The best advice I can come up with is to hit it head on, stay up to date and continue learning new things.

Also, from what I hear the bigger the company the more apparent that black line of hardware/software is.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Nice post. I agree that this is a great time to be in IT. Stay positive :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT is what you make it, if you embrace the chaos and change as needed you'll do just fine. A lot of the push back comes from the old hats and also from unrealistic expectations from management. You hit the nail on the head with virtualization and the cloud. I'd even venture to say that wireless is probably an area one would really want to brush up on. I can agree it is an exciting time, but I am being cautious in looking at how far some of these changes go. I tend to think that it is probably too soon to tell what will become of the cloud. I don't think you'll find a lot of companies doing the public cloud, but definitely setting up their own private clouds and infrastructure in the cloud. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff