Interview with the legend "Patrick Volkerding", founder of Slackware

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
LinuxQuestions forums interviewed Patrick Volkerding:

Interview with Patrick Volkerding of Slackware
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    That's a very good interview with Patrick Volkerding. The only questions I didn't see is how he earned his income before he received any from producing Slackware and how he earns his income today. I always wonder how and where people get their funding from and what they live off of.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Sweet. I'll have to give this a read after work.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the great post!
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That is a great interview with a great man!

I have been enamoured with Slackware for years - it has a tendency to do that to people... :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • notextnotext Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I remember the pride I had getting slackware up and running on a computer back in the 90's. Its been so long I can't remember which computer it was but pretty sure I was still on a crappy compaq 486. It was the first OS I had ever installed and it was tough getting all the components working but that made it all the sweeter when it did. I've run others. Redhat, Gentoo, Debian, etc., but Slackare will always have a special place in my heart. It wasn't trying to get rich, it wasn't trying to revolutionize the desktop os world, it simply a stable OS you could always count on staying the same even when new stuff was added.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That's a very good interview with Patrick Volkerding. The only questions I didn't see is how he earned his income before he received any from producing Slackware and how he earns his income today. I always wonder how and where people get their funding from and what they live off of.

mmm, no idea. But from the interview, it seems that he's finances aren't alright.

Perhaps they get paid for support? I don't know really.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Yes, with free distros, the money is made on selling printed documentation and tech support to businesses, and swag to the fanboy end-users. I just don't know how any such business makes enough money to pay all the employees needed to keep it going. You're not likely to get consistent, quality work from many unpaid volunteers.