at WGU whats the best bang for the buck?

I know for the BS in IT there are various different concentrations. Im wondering what will be the best bang for the buck as far as quickest way to complete. When i transfer i'll have just about all the gen ed courses transferred in except for humanties and 2 other. I already have the ccna, a+, mcp xp admin, probably going to get the ccna security before current version expires.

I am considering going the security route not really due to an interest of security but since i'll have some of the more difficult certs. The capstone for security has me a little leery as i rather give a proposal in network management or design then give a break down on security. But would it be faster to just go the general side which would just be the bs in I.T. what would the capstone be focused on since its a general degree?

Does anyone know if my certs would cover requirements in the general BS IT program?

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, when you graduate, your diploma will say B.S. in IT and nothing more. Your emphasis will not be mentioned. So, I believe it's best to go with the general IT track. I picked the Security emphasis, because at the time of enrollment, I only had my CCENT along with CompTIA trio. I figured I would benefit from the Security track as I would get the CCNA and CCNA Security credentials. Beside, I have always been interested in the security area, and InfoSec was my major before I had to bail out of my previous school. I learned several things from the Cisco materials. You should go with the emphasis that will not cost you too much if cost is a primary concern. You have to factor in the exam-retake you may will have to do in case you fail. In my honest opinion, I think it's a waste of money to try to chase after certs on WGU dimes, because you will ended up being pressed against the deadlines at the end of the terms. No one likes to be rushed on cert-study, especially when they have to pay for it. If money or time is not an issue, then go with the emphasis you are interested in.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea i have no intentions of chasing certs through wgu. I mean my employer will pay for my cisco/microsoft certs but i dont want to delve back into microsoft anytime soon. Just figured since I have most of the tough certs and prepping for the ccna sec cert on my own it'll be much faster to complete the rest of classes once i transfer in of course.

Yes time and money is an issue since i have more then enough student loan debt i dont want to add to it I plan on paying cash. I expect it'll take me 1-2 terms if god willing 1 term. It will be ideal since i'll feel better with spending $3k compared to $6k.

Do you really think it'll still be faster to complete the general I.T. then concentrating in security knowing i have or will have all the ccna certs.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's totally up to you to decide. I don't see why not, but to be frank with you, you are not gonna learn much with the Security emphasis if you transfer your CCNA and CCNA:Security since the general IT and Security share the same core courses. The only reason why you are hesitant is because of the Tech Writing/Capstone classes. The topic doesn't have to be about the CCNA Security topic. It must be security-related. If you can't discuss security in your paper, then stick with the general IT track since you can write a paper about anything related to computer. Even you can include security, network design and/or management, or programming and expand on them.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The general IT track is the quickest. You can always specialize in certs afterwards. But being obligated to them because of your degree can extend the amount of terms you endup doing. Some of those certs are probably almost a term's worth of study/lab time alone if they are brand new to you.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    The general IT track is the quickest. You can always specialize in certs afterwards. But being obligated to them because of your degree can extend the amount of terms you endup doing. Some of those certs are probably almost a term's worth of study/lab time alone if they are brand new to you.

+1 This is true. I started off in the Network Admin emphasis, but hit a wall with the 642 exam. Just started my 2nd term, with the regular degree and might be able to finish up this term. I think it's much more cost effective to get the regular degree, then grab the certs you want later on.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how many credits or classes did you have to take once you began?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Starting with my 2nd term, I have a total of 8 classes to finish.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i wish i started with the reg degree id be done by now
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'm just about done with the network design and management degree. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would've done the regular IT degree. It is fairly nice that they provide you with training materials for the MS exams, and that they pay for 2 attempts per exam. Their new retake policy is a complete pain in the ass, however, you've got to wait 14 days minimum, and have to work up an action/study plan with the course mentor, who is totally flooded and hard to reach since they enacted this policy.

But yeah, I could've easily finished in two terms on the vanilla degree - I'm in my 3rd now, and I'm hoping I can either move quickly enough through 70-643 and 70-647 to not go into a 4th, or convince my mentor to get me a 1 month term extension so I'll have enough time to wrap my my capstone as well.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi