Options

Home lab - NAT configuration

andre_aandre_a Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I am implementing a network where I have two routers.

The Serial cable has configured a public IP address 200.200.200.0/30, but LANs have private Ip adresses. So it means it requires NAT on each router. I have a DNS server, where I should associate the name to the IP address, but what address? the public or the private? I think it makes no sense to associate the private address of any of the HTTP server, in real life the public one is related. But in that case, if I want to connect to www.google .com server, and I am pointing to 200.200.200.2 (because is the public address of the router), how does it recognize I want to go to that specific server?
Is it possible to accomplish what I want to do?

Comments

• Options
    chaddsukchaddsuk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

It is a little confusing but I think you actually just need to set up some simple port forwarding or even one-to-one NAT which translates a public IP address to a private IP address. I think you probably need to read up a little though first...try this link....

Configuring Network Address Translation: Getting Started - Cisco Systems

Also I created a couple of youtube videos on NAT as well, you can see these by going to the following link...

Cisco NAT configuration simple CCNA tutorial - part 1 - IP pool method - YouTube

Hope that helps
    A+
    Network +
    CCENT
    CCNA
    Windows 2003 server MCP
    Windows XP MCP

2nd Line NOC Support Engineer (2 years)
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should use the 192.168.168.0 addresses in your DNS. On the private side, the NAT should only be translating your 192.168.1.0/24 addresses to a 200.200.200.0 address. You should probably have a default gateway (or route) on Router1 that tells it where to send the traffic destined for the two HTTP servers.
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!