Options

Need Advice - Job Dilemma AGAIN!

Hello TechExams,

Well, it's me again. When I posted last, this was the opportunity I was thinking I was going into -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/73712-need-advice-5000-systems-needing-upgraded-xp-windows-7-a.html
I actually kind of do the heavy lifting of upgrading XP to 7 machines in my current crap job, but the new company told me I'm actually going to be doing the coordinating part of it. My current position, we tell the users (and this is the company's process and procedure) that for an upgrade, it will take 24-48 hours depending on how much data they have. Same process - backing up data, wiping HD, upgrading to 7 with company image, restoring data and applications, but we back up their data to an external HD instead of a network share. And the users do not get a loaner. I can implement that in this new position.

The new company told me the turnaround time is going to be 4 hours (backing up data, wiping HD, upgrading to 7 with company image, restoring data and applications). The 4 hours are broken down in 2 days (3pm-5pm 1st day and 8am-10am 2nd day). The data is being backed up and pulled down from a network share. The new company wants to do about 30-40 laptops a day.

I know the toughest parts of the position are the (a) scheduling with end users on doing the upgrade and (b) getting the laptop out of their deathly grips and out of their comfort bubble.

Well, instead, it turned out to be a full-time, perm supervisor role (except for handling personnel issues) on hourly rate, not salary. I report to 2 sets of managements - my contracting company and the company that my company contracts to. Both are expecting metrics, wanting me to hit the monthly goals, and staying on Win 7 projected yearly percentage rate of deploying half the systems in the main company's environment. I manage a team of 9 (3 handling scheduling/coordination of Win 7 deployments and 6 handling production of deployments).

Unfortunately, since Day 1, it's been trial by fire. It's been tough, but I'm glad I went through it. I was told by the recruiter when I applied for the position that I get OT since I'm on hourly. Well, I would say 90% of the time I've been there, I have worked past my time and have no OT for it. I was eventually told by my supervisor peers that it's only approved by my supervisor, which that doesn't happen. Plus, I went lateral with my pay and the amount of work I do....doesn't even come close. So that's the 1st thing that was unfair about the position.

My 1st 3 months being there....it was tough, but I finally understood what's going on. I was really getting the groove of the position. Then the main company didn't like what was going on with the monthly numbers. I told my company because we aren't hitting the numbers because we were having personnel issues (people who didn't give a **** about the project). I told my supervisor numerous times via email and phone about it. He chose to ignore it. When I finally piped up and explained about the numbers going down and how the main company's management isn't happy about it, they decided to bring on one of my current supervisor peers to half my position. My supervisor told me he would be handling the strategy side and I would be doing the execution. Just a nice slap to the face. What the hell was I hired for? That's the 2nd thing.

Back story to that, that current supervisor......before I came on, was holding down a desktop support supervisor role. But he spent majority of the time getting to know my role. When I came on, he befriended me, getting his claws into me, and now he works with me. Awesome!

Now, I feel like within the next few months, I will lose out on this position. My supervisor was already wanting me to cross train into other projects. So I decided to go back on the market again, even though I have only been 4 months on the job. It sucks that I have run into this string of bad luck within the past 22 months - 1 CTH with no full-time offered, 1 full-time role which I was conned into doing help desk work, and now this.

I feel like I'm not ready for management and I want to go back into the desktop support role and hopefully get into the systems admin world.

Am I making the right decision? I just don't want to stay any longer working along with someone when I know I can handle both roles. This douchebag working with me is the perfect brown-nosing, ass kisser you can find and my supervisor and him fit like 2 peas in a pod.

Comments

• Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Well you're state employment laws would govern the OT, approved or not. I'd talk to your recruiting contact and explain this to them.. they're required by law to pay your 1.5 your hourly wage
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Definitely look at your state labor board and see if you qualify for OT. An employer can say they won't pay you OT but it is not up to them. Unfortunately, if you are in supervisor role I think you might have a hard time being classified as "non-exempt" and being entitled to OT.

As an example, this is the one for California: http://www.dir.ca.gov/IWC/IWCArticle4.pdf
  • Options
    mikejonesokmikejonesok Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are your superiors asking you to stay or are you just staying because you want to finish something before you go home? If you are staying late because they ask you then you need to tell them no unless you get OT. If you have to finish something and it's time to go, go. No one gets mad if you get to work on time so they cannot be mad if you leave work on time. Personality, I tend to stay late because I enjoy what I am doing. I would do it for free if I did not have financial obligations. Still, it is not okay for management to ask you to stay late without OT pay. It is unfair to you and your family.

As far as all the brown-nosing and people not respecting your abilities. Just filter it out. You are not there to make any friends, but to perform certain tasks and supervise. If they added someone on to help you, great! Maybe you can focus on other things. If still feel like you can handle all of the tasks plus supervise, tell them that appreciate the help. However, you feel you can handle all the aspects of position without much assistance so the person that helping you out can focus on their team.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    If you are looking at jumping ship, demand your OT. If they can you for it, sue them for wrongful termination. No joke, there isn't a state out there that is flexible when it come to OT. If you work it, you better be getting paid for it.