Options

Thoughts about emailing a co-worker to offer assistance

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am currently in a project as a team member, but doing more support around software. Today I took a proactive approach and fired an email to the project manager of our department offering my free time to assist with project task. I let my intentions be known that I do have aspirations of being a project manager.

I was very tactful and very thankful throughout the email.

I figure I am not getting any younger and if people don't know your goals and/or direction they can't help you out.

Do you think I overstepped my bounds or is this good practice? We are currently going through reorganization and she seems to have a lot going on.

This was defiently a risky move, but I feel there is just as much opportunity there as negative risk.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never a bad thing to offer help when you have the ability too. A lot of time people are afraid to ask or think others are too busy. I for one would not be offended if someone asked. I would probably say no anyway, but always nice to be asked.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It never hurts to ask at all. And while the person is likely to tell you thanks, but no thanks, at least you got it out there that you are a team player and want to learn more. It may be worth having a talk with the PM's supervisor or your own supervisor if you have a good rapport with them and won't feel jilted to know that you are looking to move forward within the company.
  • Options
    I was extremely tactiful with my approach. I made it clear it wouldn't interfer with my project role now and that I would perform the extra work in my off time. Lunch, breaks etc.

There is always risk, but I felt it was right decision. O well it's done and no regrets.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Good on you, mate.

Worst case scenario, the person will say "no", but you would have already made a small positive impression. Best case scenario, the person will say "Yes" and you start gaining extra experience :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If all you did was offer assistance, and you're not pushy about it, I wouldn't say you've done anything wrong. There's nothing wrong with asking, and making your aspirations known, unless your aspirations are to rule the world or kill all the muggles, or what have you.

Just don't turn into a needy chick, and you should be fine
  • Options
    LOL

No I am one and done with this offer. I just threw it out there. I said I would offer to do a task, indicating that I wasn't looking to rule the world (good one btw). I figured just offering to do a task would put me in the light of a project participant and not a coordinator or manager. That way I wouldn't come across as threating or forward.