Should I leave?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
It appears that the business I'm in isn't doing too well. Over the course of 3 years we've gone from having 2 remote offices to 18 remote offices. I have managed all of them from the ground up. Along with the ordering and setup of PC's, Laptops, phone systems and Cisco equipment.

However, in the past couple of months we've laid off 30% of the company due to the lack of business. Though, one part of me feels as though my position is safe. But there's another part of me which is dead scared of them letting me go. If they were to let me go, they would be in a world of sheet to be honest. They need daily support on all their devices and daily monitor of their Cisco equipment.

Now I have the theory; hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

This position I have has given me tons of experience with a lot of technologies. Specifically, Cisco. I've learned so much in the past 3 years that I wouldn't have got anywhere else. I only have my CCENT right now, and I know I could pass the ICND2 easily, but just don't have the time. I've heard some rumors lately that a few of our top level managers are going to be let go, which scares me since I'm the head of my department and I believe I manage my team VERY well.

I did a brief search over the weekend on jobs in my local area. Turns out there aren't too much. But there are 2 Cisco positions open in the area. One position is at a very electric company and another for a very large healthcare company. Neither of these places are going anywhere. But positions are definitely up my alley when it comes to job descriptions. Should I apply for them and get out of my current position while I'm ahead? Or should I remain faithful to my position and fight through these hard times?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recommend accelerating your Cisco certification and do a passive job search i.e. post your resume on dice, monster, etc.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If your business isn't doing well, I think it would be not only advisable to look for another position, but irresponsible not to. I say that because as an employee you only have so much control over the business. You can ensure you're doing your job well, and looking out for the company, but if it's being mismanaged, or if it's simply failing due to market forces, fate, karma, or whatever, you have to look out for yourself and your family.

I'm not saying to jump ship at the first whiff of an off-year or something like that. However, if you're seeing systemic downturn across the company, there is nothing disloyal about ensuring your own financial well-being by pursuing more stable employment. Companies fail, especially in these tough times, and there are very real human casualties that result.

To paraphrase the old saying about the difference between intelligence and wisdom: intelligence is the knowledge of what's going on, and wisdom is taking that knowledge and doing something with it. You see the writing on the wall--be wise and apply that knowledge in way that better positions you to be successful.

Just my opinion, random guy on the internet, etc.
  • BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I left my company every time there were layoffs, restructuring, or rumors I would have been gone 5 years ago. But here it is 5 years later, through multiple wiffs of possible problems, and I'm still here.

My advice would be control what you can control, and let the rest sort itself out. It doesn't sound like you're thrilled about those two positions you've seen, if it were me I wouldn't bother with them. Make some priority to update your certification to help you if you do lose your job. Take a look at your budget and tighten your purse strings, try to save some money. Severance packages can last a while, but you'll need some money saved when that runs out and unemployment kicks in.

And for all you know, they may end up trimming some fat and you may not be one of the ones cut. If you are as integral to the operation as you claim, you should be safe for a while. Use that time wisely, and be prepared. There is no complete security in any job out there, only the illusion of it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Change is not always a bad thing. A friend of my from the days of help desk work stayed at the same company while we all bailed. (15+) of us.

He is now a Program Manager making 3 times what I am making. He stayed and it paid off. This is through 3 downsizing efforts, chapter 11, and the company being aquired by a competitor.

If you feel it's time to make a change then go for it. You have a lot of skills so I am sure you will be valuable anywhere you go.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of what others have said makes sense.
    One thing no one has mentioned yet is if you wish to stay do some work that the company may see as making you more valuable. An example would be to streamline some processes you already do or if there is already some change in your IT infrastructure planned then formulate a proposal for a way to implement it cheaper.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, if you have a good relationship with someone higher up, tell them that you are fearful that your position may be cut and would appreciate the courtesy of a heads up if it is possible. I'd passively be looking at this time, but not in all out job hunt because if your work lacks at that point and you've mentally checked out, they may lay you off before you even find something because they saw the drop in productivity. Now, IT is something that is needed, and you may have to be honest with yourself and weigh what the risks are. I'm sure you'd prefer to stay if at all possible, so you should reach out to someone that you have a good relationship that is higher up.