Options

NEW! Macbook pro's/air's

2»

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    rwmidl wrote: »
    The 15" Retina Display models, while nice, are more aimed/targeted to those who do photo/video editing (photojournalists, etc).

Not at all true. They're also aimed at folks who want a powerful, but lightweight and smaller form factor laptop, as the non-retina models are the same old size and weight, and the super drive. If you've ever wanted a macbook air, but its display was just too small for you, or you wanted more resources, then the retinas will be right up your alley.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I agree completely. This is why my phone is an iPhone 3GS and my next phone will be an iPhone 5. I still prefer Windows as an OS, but if you're happy with OS X, I won't dispute the advantages -- there are real, significant advantages to using a largely closed, tightly integrated platform.

I don't particularly care about the politics of it being a closed platform. The reason I prefer OS X is simple - on the GUI side, it's easy, it's intuitive, and it's well integrated. This is a huge productivity saver for me. Under the hood, it's Unix. I have access to all the normal power tools I'm used to, and if they aren't there, I can compile them. Since I do the vast majority of my work in a linux terminal window, running the same software natively on my mac rather than having to use packages like Cygwin is a major plus. For me, OS X has the perfect fusion of pretty easy GUI and power tools under the hood. I might feel differently if my work wasn't so heavily unix oriented, and I have no doubt that PowerShell is plenty powerful, but since my skills are transferable between OS X and virtually every nix distro out there, learning PowerShell is a waste of my time. Using windows as a primary OS actually hurts my productivity, which is why the first thing I do whenever a job hands me a windows based box or laptop is install VirtualBox and then install Debian :)
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I really didn't like Apple OS back in the day. There was only 1 way to do things and if it didn't work, game over. Then they based OS X on BSD (NeXT) and I could do almost anything Unix in it; I was sold. I get slightly outdated expensive, stable hardware that can run any OS I can throw at it. What more could I ask for? Sure the new MBPs sort of suck and I don't like when they change things in OS X. Still, between the resale, stability, and functionality, for a *nix user it's pretty damn good.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I purchased the mbp retina , basic model. Its not going to ship until the first week of july icon_sad.gif

I use a macbook air first gen for all my computing needs and as you know it is a very nice ultrabook but with the power of a netbook lol I really needed something with more power, memory, and ssd space.

1.4ghz duo core, 2gb ram, and 64gb of memory is very limited icon_sad.gif

Ahhh longest 2-3 weeks ever!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX