Options

Job hoppers

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

I am looking at moving on from the company,

but is scared that I might look like a job hopper in my resume.

I have being in 3 roles and on average it will look like i swap every 1 year and 3 months,

but on average I stay for more than a year.

Can anyone share any experience,

I have good excuse like my last role I was there part time, and current one well looking for challenge.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Forget averages. How long have you been at your current company? I would really try to stay a year and a half at a minimum, with two being a better number. After two, go ahead and jump ship.

Looking at it as an average, 15-month is not great. Really, 20-30 month is a better target.

All that being said, this stuff isn't set in stone. The right opportunity can be worth it, and if you stay with your next employer for five years, then the previous lengths of employment don't really matter anymore.

Be prepared to defend why you're leaving and why you've left so fast in the past, however.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    For me its more about $$, what the jobs offers me, what can I learn, am I happy?
    Maybe another job offers me 5k more a year, but in here is close to home, great environment, comfty, I like it etc etc

I think many companies wont judge you or anything, but be prepare for companies not investing much in you as an individual (or maybe ask you to sign some papers that you will stay at least certain amount of time, etc)
    There are companies that look workers that get married with them, other look the normal (some years?) and some dont really expect you to stay more than 2-3 years.

Like ptilsen have said, its pretty sure than in the interview they will ask you why you changed of jobs so much.
    meh