Options

Any jobs in California?

alikooalikoo Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any jobs in California for a Certified CWNA and CCNA and who happens to be a Canadian?

I love Surf City and Huntington Beach :) (It's Sunny and it never Snows! I was there in March)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Try searching for jobs in the 92xxx ZIP code with the keyword "CWNA". Orange County, CA (that's California, not Canada ;) ) is filled with high-tech businesses and activity that need Cisco and Aruba experience. If you are thinking of moving here, expect to experience some of the highest prices/costs and worst traffic you'll find anywhere in the USA.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    "expect to experience some of the highest prices/costs and worst traffic you'll find anywhere in the USA." Ahh, the benefits of good weather.

There is lots of work to be found throughout Cali in the IT sector. SF is super competitive, LA is odd mostly studios / health / SMB work, OC & SD have lots of opportunity as well. Are you able to work in the states? Finding places that will back you for an H1B might be a tougher search.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    Ahh, the benefits of good weather.
    You mean the costs of great weather. We do pay a lot for 300+ days of sunshine and little humidity each year.

And SF is more competitive than SoCal because things cost more there and the traffic is even worse. Go figure... icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know how you guys deal with the California traffic. That's the main reason I wouldn't move to California at this time but I hear the weather is worth it for some people.
  • Options
    We Californians are gluttons for punishment and good weather!

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You aren't kidding the weather is amazing, is SOCAL

Since moving to Minnesota, the summers have been amazing. Low humdity and great tempatures. St. Louis, Missouri is just like Atlanta, Georgia, HUMID and NASTY. 100 degree 100% humidity, at least 100 days a year. Only place on earth I experience 70 degree weather that was miserable.
  • Options
    Thanks JDMurray and all the others who commented. If I find a job I should get the work Visa. There are treaties as part of NAFTA. I know many U.S. Citizens working in Canada, so it shouldn't be a problem.

You are right, the Sun, the Sea, the Beach is worth every penny... But what about medicare? This is the Big Question.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know how you guys deal with the California traffic. That's the main reason I wouldn't move to California at this time but I hear the weather is worth it for some people.

Yeah, I moved from Phoenix to Michigan and I definitely miss the weather, but there are other things too - Michigan roads are utter crap, the roads aren't lit at all, the street signs are microscopic and aren't lit up, etc. And those are just the streets! I've never had allergies but suddenly I'm sneezing and tearing up like crazy, and even with the slightest bit of humidity in the air my bones are going to pot on me - I'm actually blown away at how drastically a new environment has changed my perception of where I'd like to work.

Needless to say, I'm dreaming of moving out West again soon. Unless Chicago calls - I am in a love affair with the city of Chicago.
  • Options
    @N2IT: "Only place on earth I experience 70 degree weather that was miserable."
    We had a day like that recently and I couldn't understand why it was perfect at 70 and still terribly muggy. If you drive 2 hours east you can get that 100 deg. / 100% humidity at places like the Salton Sea.

@alikoo: Medicare isn't something you touch, nor want to. I've had insurance my whole life and wouldn't go near medical/medicare. Down here, you pay through the nose, but can select your own Docs, insurance plan depending. Our problem is ridiculous malpractice and thus higher costs. It may be cheaper to fly back to Canada for a small procedure than to have it done down here. That said, between USC and UCLA, both my doctors are world renowned within their specialties.

• Options
    alikoo wrote: »
    But what about medicare? This is the Big Question.
    You pay for your own health insurance through your employer. You will be making too much money to have access to welfare health programs. If you want true socialized medicine, you'll have to seek employment in the UK.
    onesaint wrote:
    I couldn't understand why it was perfect at 70 and still terribly muggy.
    You'll be asking yourself that question a lot if you ever visit South Florida.
  • Options
    Thanks JDMurray.

In Canada you are automatically covered by the Government health care, BUT if your employer offers a health care package then you MUST take it. What's not covered by your Employer is again covered by the Government.

Now where is that Dream Job :)
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I used to live in OC. Stay out of the freeways in rush hour and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    The problem is that "rush hour" is 6AM to 10AM and 2PM to 7PM weekdays. But, to be fair, OC freeways are fairly dead on the weekends--very unlike the freeways in Los Angeles.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The problem is that "rush hour" is 6AM to 10AM and 2PM to 7PM weekdays. But, to be fair, OC freeways are fairly dead on the weekends--very unlike the freeways in Los Angeles.

You have to plan your living situation if you live in Nor Cal. I've never had to commute more than 30 minutes, but I have to limit my job opportunities to certain areas.

I used to know a person who lived in Santa Cruz but commuted to San Ramon every day. With traffic that can be a 4 hour (one way) commute.