Options

My experience

TroyOwnsTroyOwns Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Throughout the past two months, I studied nearly everyday to obtain my A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications. I used Professor Messer's videos and various practice tests. From there, I have been actively looking for an entry level help desk or desktop support job. I've been using the popular job search engines such as indeed, monster, dice and careerbuilder. The problem I've been having is nearly every entry level job requires 2 - 5 years of experience and or a BS degree in Computer Science. I do not have either of these. I decided to try a different approach and find a staffing agency. I talked to a recruiter at Robert Half which lead to an interview. In dress pants and a ironed button up shirt, I drove to Robert Half and filled out the paperwork. I went back into the recruiter's office and waited for him to arrive. He showed up and brought another lady with him. He explained to me that she will be sitting in on the interview with us. I talked with him and told him that I wanted an entry level position in help desk or desktop support. The only thing he put emphasis on from my certifications was A+. That really upset me because I worked for the other two. The lady in room explained to me that, "We feel you are selling yourself short with your resume." The man doing the interview wrote down on his piece of paper that he's going to e-mail me some resume templates (which he did). Afterwards, I took a test on a computer on Windows XP and 7 that I could have passed when I was 16 years old. There were things like auto arrange these icons and empty the recycle bin. I left the office very upset. I still do not have a job in IT and I'm back to the same old stuff with the job boards. I did use the templates to improve my resume. The next step in my certification path is the CCNA. I am hoping maybe that can do more for me than what the CompTIA entry level trio has done.

Comments

• Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Hmm post your resume here. My Advice would be go for Microsoft Certs (MCTS:NI,MCTS:AD,MCTS:SA=MCITP:SA) + CCENT then work for CCNA.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep applying and work on getting that CCNA. Perhaps your resume needs some work too, do you want to post it here for us to critique, take your personal details off it though. Robert Half dont have a great reputation, just so you know. Once again, keep applying and something will bite soon enough. Good luck and welcome to the forums!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you considered wgu?
  • Options
    I was searching the forums and have found a lot of people from Michigan (like myself) are also having problems finding entry level positions. I'm beginning to think the reason I'm having such a hard time is because of where I'm from.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RHT is nonsense and so are the people that work there. But post your resume, because it's not total nonsense.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TroyOwns wrote: »
    I was searching the forums and have found a lot of people from Michigan (like myself) are also having problems finding entry level positions. I'm beginning to think the reason I'm having such a hard time is because of where I'm from.

You could very well be right.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Post your resume and we will take a look for you.

The part about A+ only being mentioned doesn't surprise me. I've been on interviews in the past where that is the only CompTIA they mention. Never mind the rest :/

Don't sweat it keep looking and try to contact other agencies. Tek Systems is a decent one.
  • Options
    I tried to attach my resume to this site, but it doesn't allow the doc extension.

Resume template
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    There is a large independant staffing agency in my city that I found my current job through. I have worked through several agencies and was very surprised at the professionalism of this one. Yes, I had the initial interview as well with the stupid computer test and typing skills test, but that's the norm, but when I got my job, they actually gave me insurance and benefits as a temp. Try looking in your local papers for help wanted ads, you will usually find a couple of agencies that way. Also, travel to local universities or community colleges and find their job boards, usually a bulliten board posted in a common area or possibly outside the career services office. There is always someone wanting to hire college students for entry level jobs, usually meaning that they are not expecting you to have a degree yet.