Options

Passed!

spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
Passed the 640-553 today (866/1000). Not as high as some of the more recent scores I've seen posted here lately but it's going to serve a dual-purpose in extending certifications (CCNA and Sec+ CE). Congrats to those that have passed recently! icon_cheers.gif

Materials used:
The study notes stickied at the top --- there were a few things that didn't work as indicated in those notes, but it may have been due to the IOS versions used.

Paquet's book --- I got the hard-copy so I'd have something to carry around (dry reading)

Test Prep --- available through work, wouldn't pay for this

Cisco CCNA Security Simplified --- Kindle version. Easier read than Paquet's book, covered a number of topics more in-depth. Had labs (with solutions) using both CLI (routers and switches) and SDM (routers). If I was doing it over, I'd have gotten this in hard-copy and saved my money over the other book.

BOSON ExSim-Max for Cisco 640-553 --- caught it at a discount but worth every penny. Only way this could have been more realistic would have been to make the numbers blurry in the graphics :D

Equipment used for labs:
1721 (2) -- with advsecurity IOS
2620xm (2) -- with advsecurity IOS
2620 (1) -- used as internet cloud
2924xl (3) -- layer 2 stuff

The advsecurity IOS on the 1721s had built-in IPS signatures (the 2620 IOS didn't). This allowed me to do some IPS configuration without having to search for IPS signatures. They were much quieter too, so they were upstairs with me instead of sitting in the garage, this made it more convenient for labbing.
----CCNP goal----
Route [ ] Studying
Switch [ ] Next
Tshoot [ ] Eventually

Comments