Options

ACK...my current job is really hindering my IT pursuit

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I work from 8AM to 2PM every week day and have already missed a few Staffing agency opportunities (I will take that for what it is) but now I have an actual IT manager who wants to schedule a preliminary phone interview tomorrow at 9AM, I hate to say no because I just don't know how disposable I am at this moment, that could be all it takes to move on to the next candidate. I am considering making an excuse to leave for a half hour tomorrow but my boss is not going to be happy...what should I do? How can I word my response professionally to let the individual know that I will not be able to speak with him until after 2PM?
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't say no. Ask to reschedule the phone interview until after 2pm.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Crisis averted, I let him know the situatioin and he seemed ok with me calling him at 2:30. Probably an over reaction to an underwhelming problem but I feel like I have a 20 lb. fish on 5 lb. tess right now..lol
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Just say that you're available after 2PM for a phone interview or in-person interview. You don't need to explain why. Most hiring managers are more than happy to accommodate at long as it's during regular business hours (8-5) and recruiters are going to bend over backwards to get you a phone interview since it's their commission on the line
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What Iristheangel said. Just let them know you are available after 2PM. The manager should be understanding that you have other obligations as we all do. If they can't understand that then trust me you don't want to work for them anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyday…? M-F +Sat+Sun. You work weekends too?

I have scheduled several phone interviews after 1:00pm.( I work nights) I agree with kenozz, just ask to reschedule.
    I would be honest with your future possible boss( the IT manager), and say something like” I apologize, can we reschedule the interview for a later time? I work from 8 am -2pm.. can we reschedule at 2:30 or 3 pm? If he likes you, he will be willing to reschedule. ….Just make sure the time works for you.

I wouldn’t leave early, you want to make sure that your manager is happy. Some companies, not all let managers give references To HR departments, hiring managers ,and recruiters for new hires.

If you’re doing interviews in person explain your situation and try to get in at 3:30. You can change into interview clothes at work , a target, wal mart, ect. I say 3:30, because I always try to give myself an hour to get to an interview, because you never know about the “ What if’s”
    Also, you should drive to the interview location, one day before the interview This helps make sure know the route/way there.
    Good luck…. hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    8am to 2pm are perfect hours for landing interviews if you work it right. Don't blame your current job for hindering your pursuit lol, I would imagine you could let them know your hours and they can work around that as mentioned above.

Make it happen!!:D
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Why don't you tell them your schedule at work? I am usually up front with all employers about my work schedule and they've been accomodating. My last interview was at 6:30 AM.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I told my supervisor that I am planning on leaving for two reasons: 1) I wanted to be able to use my current employer as a reference, and 2) I wanted to be upfront about my intentions and take off when needed for interviews. It's very hard for me to tell a lie and I know that they will have a very hard time replacing me. Every day that goes by, I hate this place more and more but I could never just walk out unexpectedly.
  • Options
    noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats funny when people that dont fish use that analogy.

Its 'test' Fishing lines strength is measures in 'test'

Now we all know :D
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    @swild: That's pretty wild (err, no puns). In the event I were jumping ship, I'm not sure I could let the current company know and deal with the tension from there on out. Still it is a noble approach. That said, I don't hate my situation, yet.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness