Options

Upgrading SQL Server 2008 certification(s) to SQL Server 2012

amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here is a link on ways to upgrade your SQL Server 2008 certification(s) to SQL Server 2012.

Microsoft SQL Server Certification

I have the MTCS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance certification. I was planning on finishing my MCITP: Database Administrator 2008. After doing some research, I am having second thoughts.

If I decide to upgrade to MSCE: Data Platform, I would need to need to take 4 exams either way (counting the PRO exam for MCITP). If I decide to stop at MCSA: SQL Server 2012, then I may be better off not getting the MCITP beforehand.

What are your thoughts on this? icon_confused.gif:
WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
In Progress: C688
Remaining: LQT2
Aristotle wrote:
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

Comments

• Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same dilema. The aswer for me is this - SQL 2008 will be supported by MS till 2018. Most (if not all) of our servers runs SQL 2008 and I see no plans for migration to SQL 2012. Also, if I have to do the migration from 2008 to 2012 MCTIPDatabase Administrator 2008 knowledge will come in handy. Down the road, I will go for 2012 cert, but for now I will finish 2008 cert.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will most likely finish my MCITP. I might as well... I have only 1 exam to go. I'm not sure about any SQL server certs beyond that.

My career path will dictate whether or not to pursue any SQL Server certifications past MCITP Database Administrator 2008. As of right now, I work as a software consultant, not a DBA. I come across relational databases (particularly SQL Server and DB2) during the life cycle of my clients' projects. I possess knowledge of T-SQL and PL/SQL (though I'm not an expert in either). However, I never have any administrative responsibilities.

I guess I'll see what the future holds and go from there.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.