What's more important in the realm of security certifications, RHCSA or Microsoft.

flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im attempting to layout my certification goals for 2012. My focus is about System Security whether it's Windows or Redhat, but I'm trying to decide which OS will have the better outlook. I'm already preparing to take the SSCP within a few weeks after 3 1/2 months of study. Most of study and prep is coming out of my own pocket and my current job doesn't pay for Security training. Earning an immediate 80k a year is is not my current mind set, but gradually earning a high income after a few years under my belt is what I expect. I appreciate in comments on the following certs:

MCITP AD---Is this still relevant
RHCSA---- Will security under this OS open doors for me, or is it a small closet
CEH---Just thinking
B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
A.S Network Server Administration
M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MS and RedHat certs will still be relevant. If you're really looking to go straight into security you already have the right focus, which is security certs. SSCP + Security+ will be a good entry. Where you want to go from there really depends on what you want to do. If you want to focus on securing Windows or Linux systems, both RedHat and MS cert paths are relevant. If you want to go into penetration testing, CEH is more relevant (though there are much better pentest certs IMO). Neither track is "more relevant" than the other, really. Both Linux and Windows are widely seen and both need to be secured, and all networks need security managed, regardless of their 'NIX/Windows ratio.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen, thanks for the reply. Working under Linux at my current job has really been both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I'm enjoying Fedora 16 on my laptop and running everything on it and then suddenly after one update errrrrrrrrr crash!!!!! Windows seems fairly straight forward, but sometimes their Certs are had to keep up with. After passing Security+ and studying for the SSCP, I'm more focused on wanting to secure servers and systems. I'm not really one to do pen-testing but I like the fact of knowing how to protect systems, Virtual Machines, host's from attacks, but I don't think I want to be pen-tester.
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)