Options

Difference Between Information Tech(I.T) and Managment of Information Systems?(M.I.S)

SalsaaaSalsaaa Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Considering one of the two for a major.

Here are some questions I have

A)What is the difference? They sound like the same exact thing to me

B)What could an I.T do that an M.I.S can't do, and vise versa?

C)Which has higher pay

D)Which one deals with more people?

E)Which is more stressful

F)Can someone clarify what a Project Manager is? It seems appealing to me since I will be interacting with people.

G)Which has more time to "goof off" during work

Thanks!

-Salsaaa

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    These are degree majors, not career paths. If your questions are about work after school, the two majors (all else being equal) will provide roughly equal opportunities in terms of future career.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    IT is more hands on technology whereas MIS is much more business and management oriented.

You have to understand that a degree doesn't equal a career path. You can use either to break into IT and apply for the same jobs for the same pay. If you want to be more on the management side a MIS degree may help you more later on but I wouldn't expect to just walk into a management position without quite a bit of other experience. I have a MIS degree yet am in a very hands-on position(Systems Administrator) but the degree will allow me to move into management easier later on if I decide to.

Pick which one interests you most and work on getting real-world work experience in IT. If you're looking for a job that allows you time to "goof off", you might be in the wrong career sector.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As others have said, it really depends on the school as to what the programs will entail. An example is Drexel vs Temple when it comes to MIS. At Temple it is a major and they get some very technical courses. Currently one of our developers is a graduate with a BS in MIS. In turn, at Drexel, the MIS "degree" is actually a concentration that can be taken by Business Administration majors. Not really technical, just gives them a broad overview of a couple of technological concepts. So what you should do is look to see if the MIS degree gives you a balance of technical and of business as I believe that would be a good route to go. If not, just go with the IT degree because the MIS could be all business and if that isn't your aim you won't be happy.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff