Options

Resume Review/Critique

georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
I've updated my resume and would like a little feedback. I have more job experience but I'm still tweaking them by getting rid of "job descriptions" and actually putting what I did and how I made an impact.

I had 20+ years in the military and 6+ years in my current job, so I haven't had much need for a resume in the past, although I wrote one when I separated for the military and have tried to maintain it since.

Any and all advice, thoughts, best practices, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
Start Date: 01 October 2012
QFT1,PFIT in progress.
TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    And where is said resume?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    And where is said resume?

Sorry, we had a brownout just as I finishing the original post. It's been attached there now.
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First impression: Try and get rid of that third page, or fill it.

If I were you, I'd drop CCNA and MCP, they are redundant and it might be enough to pull the resume down to two pages. Condensing it down would be ideal I think.

EDIT: I also see both past and present tense in your current job "experience" section. Present tense throughout would look better IMO.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Where is the rest of your experience? You say seventeen years and the only job you have listed is 2008 - Present.

Your resume is set up a lot like a new graduate with no experience. After seventeen years you should be able to cut out the Qualifications, Skills and Training sections and fill the space with quantifiable on the job experience. Showing what you have actually done will be much more valuable then listing off a bunch of training courses that you may or may not have even paid attention during.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pseniorpsenior Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with what's been posted above. In addition I would say that your resume is densely packed with information. No potential employer is going to read it all. I would treat this version as your master resume and create a shorter version with a lot less duplication of information. For example, you mention the word "Cisco" about 20 times, whereas I have it listed four times on my resume.

You want more white space showing on the page and you want the interviewer to be able to ask you questions, so shorten it a bit. A good tip I read the other day was to make your bullet point statements able to fit into a Twitter message (140 characters or less).

You are highly qualified and experienced, no doubt. If I were you, I'd highlight the security clearance, certifications, and technical skills. Revise a lot of it to make it brief and to demonstrate the results of your work.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions so far. Re-writing my resume has been giving me fits, but I'm determined to have a resume that accurately portrays my skills, knowledge, and experience. I also have at least 3 other formats of my resume that I'm not really happy with.

Once I implement the changes and suggestions I'll go ahead and re-post it.
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.