Options

Difficult time getting IT jobs

LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm not sure if its my resume or if I am going about in the wrong way, but it seems to be extremely hard to even get an interview for an IT job. I've even asked previous instructors and my current intern employer and there is nothing around. I've used Dice, Monster, Indeed, Craigslist, and have applied directly. I'm at the point now where I am willing to relocate, even out of state, to get some kind of IT related job that is full-time and would allow me to live on my own. My future fiance is coming over from overseas within the next few months and I need to have a better job to support her, so I'm in a absolute rush to get things done but so far I've hit brick walls.

Anyone have any tips that could speed this process up? I'll post my resume as well so those with more experience with them can help me adjust it.

Thanks

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire < - my resume

Comments

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have an IT degree or certs? If you have some certs, it might be your resume.

Oh, I just noticed your resume!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend the following.

Sections like this and in this order.

1.Education and Certifications
    2.Skillsets
    3.Work experience

I would get rid of windows 98 and 2000, since their not really used anymore.
    I would get rid of Rip, since eigrp and ospf are more common for production.
    Reorder sentences by putting longer sentences at top and shorter sentences at the bottom, looks neatericon_lol.gif

I also recommend that you gain a CCNA (it'll help you gain interviews easier) since you taken Cisco Academy. That's all I can think of currently.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    why would you list tera term? lol
    its just a terminal client

ALso you list 10 years of PC hands on experience and 5 years of customer service related experience
    Yet I dont see almost anything listed in your resume that comes from that
    achievements? specific duties? specific tasks? trainings? skills acquired?
    For example, 5 years of customer service experience:
    Developed reports and graphics from monitoring statistics
    was in charge of incidents and RFSs
    or had a 90% satisfactions across hundreds of clients
    did you had a suppost platform? Like salesforce or MS Dynamics etc

Saying you have 10 years of experience in something but not listing specifics of it just tells me you made it up or just played with it around in your home or something
    meh
  • Options
    noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1) Centered, at the top,
    Name
    Address
    City, state
    phone#
    email address
    2) A few sentence summary of your experience, skills, and goals
    3) Bulleted Education and certifications
    4) Highlights of skills, abilities, qualifications
    5) Work experience

With lines seperating the fields looks real nice. I took a lot of information out so there is ALOT more whitespace than normal. Whitespace is ok, but in my final version resume it is minimal.

I found this format from someone off of this website. I dont want to claim credit for this format or template but I have had a great deal of success with it. From literally 0 replies with my first resume template I found off some website to almost 80% + interest rate when applying my 2nd time around. Granted my first resume had only work experience while at my university. After the ZERO interest it generated I went back and got several certifications and then I was getting calls left and right. Good luck.

Definitely read the Resume Do's and Dont's sticky at the top of the forum. And hopefully the following picture will help.

EDITED: take out your food service history as it is not relevant, and also dont say you are proficient at the "internet" I lol'ed at that.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    I'm curious, why does everyone suggest putting your work history at the end of the resume when it's the main thing everyone is looking for?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    m3zilla wrote: »
    I'm curious, why does everyone suggest putting your work history at the end of the resume when it's the main thing everyone is looking for?

Wonder this myself as most people I talked to (recruiter etc.) told me that this is what they want to see first. In my case I studied Electronics. Imagine that being the first they read whilst applying for an IT job .. Surely that goes straight into the bin ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Resumes usually aren't read top down like a normal document. It's common practice to actually read them bottom up but realistically at first glance people see the top, bottom and usually ignore the middle.

In my opinion you should put your strong categories at the top and bottom(work experience last is fairly standard), then fill in the middle with the less-applicable information.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where does the 10 years come in? I see that you list 2008 as your first job. It doesn't quite match up. If I were to read that I'd skip it. Purely because if you were to lie on the resume, what are you going to do to my face? Not trying to be harsh, just pointing it out.

You also listed substantial experience in Microsoft and Adobe products, though, it's not listed on the job experience.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'll also add a few things that jump out at me in no particular order.

1. The > arrows don't belong on a resume in my opinion.
    2. I don't see install/configure, hardware/drivers being a very professional style of writing appropriate for a resume.
    3. "Setup Network printers" -- Reason why the N is capitalized?
    4. You switch tenses a lot -- Example in the skillset section: experienced, substantial experience, then back to experienced, ect.
    5. You list that you're proficient in VMWare(VMware is the correct typing), but VMware what? It's like saying you're proficient in Microsoft, a company with many products.
    6. In skillsets you sometimes use complete sentences and sometimes just fragments. Pick one style and stay with it.
    7. "Train Employees" Lowercase the e.
    8. "Responsible for monitoring and administering the workstations and troubleshooting as necessary. Poorly worded, grammatically wrong.
    9.Punctuation is inconsistant. Some sections sometimes use periods while others don't.
    10. "Experienced with EIGRP, OSPF, RIPv1, RIPv2, VLANs, L2 and L3 troubleshooting as well as WAN technologies, network security and authentication, and VPN's." See my point?

This is supposed to be an example of your best work. If you can't prove to employers that you're capable of better then you're not likely to get hired. It only takes one mistake,or something that annoys the person reading it, to end up in the trash.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    How can you be experienced with EIGRP, OSPF, RIPv2, RIPv1 (where do you even use that?), VPN, and WAN?? Since when do "assistants" and intern get to troubleshoot EIGRP/OSPF?

Seems like you just Googled for sample resume and just copy/pasted into yours