Options

How to Handle? What to do in this position?

jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Currently I am a support manager for a software company and have had really good success. I started about a year ago at a decent salary which I thought at the time was a little low, but it was the type of position I was looking for. We were struggling financially and I put in some processes and changed some things in the business that made us successful. We went from 5 months of a loss to a 9 month profit and during that time I became the CEO's right hand. Currently I am still a support manager, but without asking my salary rose to 3k in Jan, then 10k in April, then I got a bonus structure that was roughly 15k per year. I am really happy with this, but I have my annual review coming up and I am not sure if I should ask for some additional money or a job title change. What is everyone's experience with this and do you have any advise?

P.S.
When I started I took a 6k raise from the last job. Which effectively means in 1 year my salary raised 34K.
ICND1 Test Apr 23
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's your current title and the size of the company? And if you are comfortable disclosing your salary range - that may be a factor.

One thing that you don't want to do is to have a title that is not line with your salary or the company size. It looks a bit weird on a resume.

Also - if the company is sufficiently mature - is there a formal career path structure? Titles would be normalized across functions so that it's easier to determine rank in the organization.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    I don't get this, do you feel that you are underpaid for the work that you do? Has the work you do changed from what was in the job description when you started? In this new job, your salary has increased by 28K and you want to ask for more? Were you underpaid from the start?
  • Options
    jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Current title is Tech Support Manager. The company is small ~25 people. There is very little structure. As for salary I am in the 60's

Atorven,

My duties have changed significantly. I was just responsible for the support team, but am now responsible for the Business and manage the entire business. Went from 4 direct reports to 3 direct and the go between for everyone else. I think for what I started doing I was a little underpaid, but the up side was large. At this point I have additional duties that is why I am posting
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your title seems appropriate to the size of the company. And given the salary increases that you have received in the past year - my suggestion is to just let it ride. It sounds that the company values your contributions and are looking to see you grow. That's great to hear.

If you report directly to the CEO, you manage the entire IT function, perhaps a director-level title may apply but you would be underpaid for that title. And I think the company is too small.

Regardless, titles in smaller companies are usually not very meaningful so personally, I would never push on it unless you are also a customer facing and you need to have a title that matches up with the counterpart at your customers.
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    25 people seems very little,

are you a one man band? How many people are there in the i.t dep
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It depends if you have someone under you that supervises people you title should have director in it. If not then your current title works. Also your salary depends on the type of guys you are managing and how much they are making. You should make 10-20 percent more than the guys who work for you.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm curious jblake, do you have a degree in business/IT?