Options

NAT Terms

hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I am scheduled for the CCENT this friday and I just can't wrap my mind around these NAT Terms.

Outside Local, Outside Global, Inside Local, Inside Global.

Does anyone have a good way to explain this or a easy way to remember? I read odoms ICND1 book and Exam Prep CCENT and I thought I had it before but i've been moving a lot due to the military and had to reschedule for a later date. I am using Boson's exam prep. Thanks ahead of time!

-hardstyle

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first thing you need to wrap your head around is Cisco's terminology. Inside is not always a private IP and Outside is not always a public IP. They refer more to the direction of the translation...inbound vs outbound

Here is how I remember them and it seems to work well.

Inside - Anything originating from inside the Local LAN and destined out to the Internet (This means NAT translates only in that direction)

Outside - Anything originating from the outside interface that requires access to IP that is on the Inside LAN (Commonly referred to as NAT pinhole in SOHO routers)

This will get a host on the inside LAN out to the Internet

Inside Local - 192.168.1.1
    Inside Global - 125.25.25.1

This will get a host on the internet to a service hosted on the private LAN

Outside Local - 192.168.1.1
    Outside Global - 125.25.25.1
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you don't pick up these terms easily, don't feel alone - a lot of people seem to stumble on this. I don't really hear these referenced outside of the CCNA. I work a lot on ASAs and even there I don't see these terms used.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »
    The first thing you need to wrap your head around is Cisco's terminology. Inside is not always a private IP and Outside is not always a public IP. They refer more to the direction of the translation...inbound vs outbound

Here is how I remember them and it seems to work well.

Inside - Anything originating from inside the Local LAN and destined out to the Internet (This means NAT translates only in that direction)

Outside - Anything originating from the outside interface that requires access to IP that is on the Inside LAN (Commonly referred to as NAT pinhole in SOHO routers)

This will get a host on the inside LAN out to the Internet

Inside Local - 192.168.1.1
    Inside Global - 125.25.25.1

This will get a host on the internet to a service hosted on the private LAN

Outside Local - 192.168.1.1
    Outside Global - 125.25.25.1
    I got it I re read some stuff and got ahold of it. I learned it easily before but had a few months off doing pre deployment and stuff with leaving the army. Thanks.
    docrice wrote: »
    If you don't pick up these terms easily, don't feel alone - a lot of people seem to stumble on this. I don't really hear these referenced outside of the CCNA. I work a lot on ASAs and even there I don't see these terms used.
    Yea I got it. Thanks for the support. I worked as a network technician at a hospital and didnt hear them either.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I also didn't quite get these terms, on the Cisco academy there is about 8 of them though! I can't remember what the others were.. same things just in different orders.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.