Options

How tough is this exam...

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
if I choose to do this right after my CCNA? Or should I complete Comptias Security+ after the CCNA then on the the CCNA:S. Just looking for a little advice as I get my next semester at WGU together.

On a side note what is the best book or resources for this exam?

OH I forgot to add I have no experience in Security at all. If this isn't a terrible test I plan on taking this and the CCNA in my next 6 month term.
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Current version (640-553) of the test expires on Sep30. New version (640-554) goes into effect on Oct1. If you don't have CCNA locked down yet I doubt you have enough time to study for and take the 640-553 before the expiration. I didn't look into training materials for the 640-554 (I knew the deadline I was shooting for).

As for Security+, while it's not required for CCNA:S, there's a lot of common framework (IPSec, encryption, attacks, etc) that are covered in it. Also, if you end up working for DoD in some manner, you'll be required to have Sec+.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    Nope don't have my CCNA as of yet. So it looks like I will be taking the newer test sometime towards the end of this year then or beginning of next year after I complete my CCNA. I dont think I will have to take the Security+ if I take the CCNA:S before switching my school programs.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the CCNA Security exam a few months after I got my CCNA. I spent three weeks studying the official Cisco Press book. Now that said, I wasn't new to IOS, Cisco firewalls, or security in general when I took the exam so your experience will definitely not mirror mine.

The CCNA Security builds upon some foundations laid out in the CCNA. It'd be wise to take your time on these and not rush through it.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    The time table is set. I have 6 months per semester, and I have been studying on again, off again for the CCNA. I have a lab at home already, and have been fooling with IOS some just getting to know it alittle bit. Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I'm really excited about finally starting this though.