Options

WGU for 2nd Bachelor's Degree - Thoughts? Comments?

wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, all.

I've posted a couple times here, before, and have mentioned that I'm currently an Apple IT guy who's hoping to get into the Microsoft/Linux/CCNA field. I've looked into WGU, and they seem pretty legitimate and everyone here seems to have good things to say about them.

I'm considering going for a 2nd Bachelor's degree in Information Technology - Network Administration. It seems that along the way you earn quite a few certifications and it gives you a bit more structure than just sitting down with a book or online course.

What are your thoughts about doing this? My first degree was in Philosophy, so it's not super relevant to my IT interests, but I'm also not interested in throwing money away if it means I won't really advance.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I think I would just work on those certifications on your own. The materials you get for the exams at WGU is not better than what you could purchase on your own. As far as structure it really isn't any different than sitting down with a book or online course. It would also be cheaper to do the certs on your own and don't have to rush. Maybe if you didn't have IT experience it would be OK, but since you do I am not sure it is worth the cost. What about a Master's degree?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't bother wasting the money on a 2nd degree as it won't help you all that much. There are MANY in IT who do not have IT related degree's. Work on your certifications and you'll be further ahead and faster then picking up a 2nd degree without the extra debt.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Yup, go Masters or just get certs, a second BS won't really help much. A lot of big companies now are not looking for pure IT people, they want people with other backgrounds that can integrate better into the business as a whole and not live in their own little bubble.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no clear cut answer.

I think there is value in getting another bachelors, but like others have mentioned certifications can offset your lack of IT education. A masters is a consideration, but again it just depends on your goals. Some companies won't touch you since you don't have a business or IT degree. Other's won't really care, but the bottom line is you have to remove risk from the employers mindset. However you choose to do that is up to you.

Personally if it was me I would go for a beginner - mid level certification and see how you feel afterwards. You mention networking, the CCENT is a nice one to get and is very doable. I am strongly against going to CompTIA, IT professionals seem to out grow those expensive certifications very quickly. Getting the CCENT then transitioning into the CCNA is a great goal and something you will be proud of and will maintain value. You have to recert every couple of years but a lot of the certifications are moving to that model.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm pursuing my second degree through WGU. I'd agree with most here in that pursuing a second degree is a waste of time and money, but it depends on the situation. In mine, I had most of the certs you'd graduate WGU with, so it will probably take me one term to complete the degree. Also, I luckily was able to get tuition assistance in the 12th hour.

In your case, I'd A) pursue the certs on your own. You can study on your own and the materials/tests would be cheaper than going through WGU without the time crunch. A CCNA requires the cert kit $40 and equipment (packet tracer, GNS3, IOU or real equipment).

B) Figure out your area of expertise/IT track, ie sys admin, network engineer, desktop support, virtualization expert, storage, data center, Database administrator, etc. with Microsoft, Linux, Cisco, etc, you're committing to a lot of different technology. It's better to be more specialized.
  • Options
    wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments so far.
    It's better to be more specialized.

I feel like my problem is that I'm ALREADY so specialized with Apple stuff, and so many job openings around here ask for such a long list of skills that I can't imagine any person having... They want Microsoft, CCNA, Linux experience, Mac experience, and all this other stuff that feels impossible to get for me. So I guess I am stuck in the mode that it's not "worth it" because it seems like the moment I get another certification the next moment there will be another requirement tacked on..
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    There is no clear cut answer.
    Personally if it was me I would go for a beginner - mid level certification and see how you feel afterwards. You mention networking, the CCENT is a nice one to get and is very doable. I am strongly against going to CompTIA, IT professionals seem to out grow those expensive certifications very quickly. Getting the CCENT then transitioning into the CCNA is a great goal and something you will be proud of and will maintain value. You have to recert every couple of years but a lot of the certifications are moving to that model.

What is wrong with CompTIA? They're relatively cheap (compared to higher level certs) and good entry level. A+ I haven't seen much need for, but Security+ is always a good one to have (at least until you go higher, and specialize in security).

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
  • Options
    The information you learn from the certification is fine. It's the fact that IT professional seems to out grow these certifications rather quickly, which in my opinion give them less value than a CCNA or MCITP.

If you have the extra resources then go ahead and nail them out. I don't have a problem with someone getting them, but if you are already in an IT program which covers networking, programming, PC, servers, etc. I would just move to a mid level certification. Getting your associate degree in CS or IT Networking IMO is the equivalent to getting those lower level certifications.

If someone has no background in IT including a degree that is non IT related picking up A+ is not a bad idea if you want to get into help desk to desk side. Just like getting N+ or Linux + isn't a bad one to get if you plan on applying for NOC jobs. I find it rather redundant to go through a rigorous associate program to follow up with some basic certifications. If the associate program is worth it's weight in salt, you should be ready to handle the mid level certifications.

For instance I have a friend who did the network IT associate at the local community college. The track started off with the unix/linux, C++, principal of networking, system administration, database design and SQL and a few other courses. By the time he finished those courses he went on to finish off with a few higher level networking courses which were aligned with Cisco technology. IMO it would be a terrible waste to get A+ or N+ at that point. I would think the student would be better off going for the CCNA, MS Server, or even some Mid level Linux certifications.
  • Options
    I have to disagree, only because HR and recruiters aren't always the brightest people. If they list "must have Network+" and don't see it on your resume, you don't get the call... even if you had CCNA listed, because it's not what was on their checklist. I keep my Security+ (and therefore A+ and Network+) active only because of that fact.

I work with the Army... I'm a CISSP but I still have to do the annual IA awareness training and test or I lose network access. It's joke training, but the checklist says I must do it therefore I must do it.

• Options
    You make a good point, blank statements never cover it all. Like you mentioned with your training, it's a shame you have to subjective yourself to that nonsense, but it is what it is. (Especially since you have that beast CISSP)

I would hate to point someone to a certification just because HR requires it. I suppose if there is a solid job that requires it then you might have to go for it, but I think that is an exception, but one that can come up. I find the only CompTIA that any company non government or military related ask for commonly is A+. I think once you hit the networking world the CCNA can cover up network + and then some.

Either way each job has their own set of requirements. You have to pick your battles and be careful not to spend to much scratch on the great paper chase.
  • Options
    I've been in the government/military/contractor world so long I didn't know that people actually looked at A+. I enjoy the paper chase, but I haven't paid for any out of pocket, military or company have covered them all!

Anyway... back to the topic.

• Options
    miki80miki80 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a bit in the same boat. I have a B.A. (liberal arts field) from a VERY good school (think top 10 in US News & World Report) and am thinking to get the BS-IT degree from WGU.

I have 10 years IT experience, but no certs. I think I've hit the glass ceiling at work right now, and so I need a technical degree to go any further.

A lot of master's programs require a technical bachelor's degree, which I don't have.

A BS-IT degree would solve that problem.

Also, i think it might help when I am applying for gov't jobs.

I am not sure if it would devalue my first bachelor's, however.

Am I crazy to think of getting the 2nd BS?
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    A second B.A or B.S degree is a waste. Get a Masters degree and certifications. Also my brother in law has a 4 year degree in english but 20 years of programming experience and he was able to go get a Masters in computer science. You don't need an IT / C.S degree to get a Masters in it.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Don't waste your coin. A Master's degree is worth more than a second BS.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)