Options

Got my first IT job need help or tips (nervous)

imthatguy23imthatguy23 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I recently got an IT job as a tech support analyst. This is my first IT job experience and I am a bit nervous I don't know what to expect on the first day. If any of you guys with a lot of experience could provide me with tips or any help that can help me be successful on my new job that would be great help.

On my second problem I am a bit nervous cause I will be tech support analyst in the software side I need to have some knowledge in HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL Server, and proficient in MS office. I have information system degree and studied a bit of database management, and did a bit of HTML (Beginner) but that that was last year when I got my bachelors degree. I haven't been using it cause the past year I had been pursuing my A+ which I got 2 months ago and also got a Windows Networking Certificate on my local college.

And also can any of you provide me any info on what would be the training like?
Thanks again sorry for all the questions as you can tell I am a bit nervous but I really want to be successful on this job and currently studying SQL server and HTML. I start next 2 weeks so I just want to be ready.

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kinda curious how you managed to get a job on the software side when you stated that you clearly dont feel confident about it. Must've been some interview you gave.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just relax and be ready to learn. I assume they know this is your first job so they aren't expecting you to come in and be an expert. Your first few days will probably be some kind of company integration, right seat riding etc. Make sure you take notes and ask questions!

Hopefully you were honest about your skill level and knowledge when interviewing. If you were you have nothing to worry about. If you lied I hope you are a quick learner or get ready to find another job. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    @dmarcisco they know that in the past year I had been pursuing A+ and Windows Networking Certificate. They never asked any technical questions on the software. I think they hired me cause of my troubleshooting and customer service. I have a feeling that they have their own in house software that I need to learn.
    @networker050184 thanks for the advice and help.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Seeing as I was in your shoes not too long ago, I will try and give some advice. Take it for what you will :D

1) Relax. This is your entry into the field of IT, if this is truly what you enjoy you should be excited to learn and grow. If you were honest in your interview, the people who hired you have an idea of what you are capable of. If you stress out about what you know or dont know , you will have a much harder time performing.

2) Expect a lot of training and yes, some of it will be brutally boring. Make sure you listen absorb and take notes on everything. If you dont feel you know as much about something as you should self-learn, go home use the internet and research.

3) At first chances are you won't have much freedom, you might even not be particularly challenged. But if you followed #2 and demonstrate you have superior ability you will be surprised how fast you find yourself doing increasingly difficult tasks.

4) For the most part people are there to help, but its all in the approach. A lot of the experienced people I have noticed don't mind helping the newbs, and will often go out of their way. However; they want you to think and learn for yourself. If they see you struggling, refusing to be coddled but pushing for that answer yourself they will respect you and in many cases offer to assist. They do not however; take kindly to people who ask them questions every three seconds that someone who would have spent 30 seconds on google could have found the answer to.

And most of all, Congrats!!

Have fun with it
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    take full advantage of this opportunity and learn it all with a smile.
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mutata wrote: »
    4) For the most part people are there to help, but its all in the approach. A lot of the experienced people I have noticed don't mind helping the newbs, and will often go out of their way. However; they want you to think and learn for yourself. If they see you struggling, refusing to be coddled but pushing for that answer yourself they will respect you and in many cases offer to assist. They do not however; take kindly to people who ask them questions every three seconds that someone who would have spent 30 seconds on google could have found the answer to.

Cannot agree more
  • Options
    @ mutata thanks for the great advice and also to everyone that congratulated me.
    Another thing is as I mentioned that I am not really experts on the skills that I mentioned about and knows only bits and pieces and I am studying rigorously since I got the confirmation I got the job. Would they expect me to know it right away on my first day? That is probably the one thing I am nervous about is what if they made me do something that I would probably won't know.