Options

WGU Question

ClevernamehereClevernamehere Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
My first post on this board will be on a topic everyone is probably tired of talking about but you never get answers without asking a question first so.....

I'm just trying to get into the IT field. I have no experience past working on systems for friends and family and I looked at the WGU admissions requirements for an IT degree and they list experience or certs to gauge how well you would do in the program? Is that right? Just wondering if I would have a chance of getting in and since it seems like some of you guys have good experiences you seemed like the bunch to ask. I am trying to get my A+ right now in hopes it will help me get my foot in the door somewhere (passed the 701 on Monday and taking the 702 this Monday). I'm hoping it will help me get an interview for a transfer at my current job actually (I'm an insurance underwriter.) I just think I'd really enjoy getting a degree and certs at the same time, but man what I really want is that experience! I know a career change will be difficult but heck I'm young and I have a passion for the industry so I'm gonna make it happen. I realize this is long-winded and ill-formatted so thanks to anyone who reads and/or responds.

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    A+ might work, Security+ definitely should work to get into WGU without experience. Experience is hard to get, but a degree and certs should help you get a low level entry position.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Although I have the IT experience to qualify, on my transfer evaluation they used my Security+ to met the admissions requirement. I believe A+ would also meet the requirement as it is transferable as well.

"At least one transferrable professional certification (earned within the last 5 years); "
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    They really want 2 items to admit you. If you have no IT experience and no college experience, they really want to see 2 IT certifications, A+ being one.
  • Options
    I think that only refers to the high level courses not certifications? Seems you can get in with a high school diploma/GED and one certification.

From Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online

Special requirements for WGU’s B.S. IT programs

• Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Demonstrate IT experience either through:
      • An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
      • High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
        • Two or more upper-level networking courses; OR
        • Two or more upper-level object-oriented programming courses (Java, C#, etc.); OR
        • One or more upper-level operating systems courses; OR
        • One or more upper-level information security and assurance courses.
      • Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
      • Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.

From my transfer evaluation:

In order to be admitted to the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology program, applicants must present evidence of one of the following:

An Associate’s degree in information technology; or
    At least one transferrable professional certification (earned within the last 5 years); or
    At least 3 years of relevant work experience; or
    One of the following high-level information technology coursework combinations (taken within the last 5 years):
     Two or more upper level networking courses
     Two or more upper level object-oriented programming courses (Java, C#, etc.)
     One or more upper- level operating systems course
     One or more upper-level information security and assurance course
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    A high school diploma/GED should go without saying. All colleges (should) require this.

I realize that it reads like you only need one certification, but from what I have read from others that have tried applying, they want to see 2 items: college IT coursework, IT work experience, and/or IT certifications. If you only have one of those three, then it needs to be substantial, i.e. Associate's degree or 3+ years IT experience, or multiple IT certifications.

Someone correct me if you have been let in with less than this. You may be able to talk your way in with only one certification, but I haven't heard of it happening.

I think when it says "at least one ... certification" it means a high level certification or several low level certs.
  • Options
    I think you are correct as it makes more sense. Having just an A+ wouldn't seem much of a requirement. Like you said it just reads that way although maybe they should clarify. I guess the easiest solution is for the OP to contact WGU and see what they say. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as getting experience what I did to make my career change and get some experience to put on a resume way back when was to volunteer at the county. Usually county government has volunteer programs I started with doing a lot of thier Y2k testing. Wasn't much but atleast it got the ball rolling. Could be something you can do one day a week while still working. This of course something you can do if no one will open the door for you.
  • Options
    ClevernamehereClevernamehere Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for some of the responses guys. I'll try to get in touch with WGU to see what they say. As far as volunteering I'm in a small area and I don't believe they use much volunteer work around here. I would only be able to do it on weekends as my current job demands a lot of time during the week. That's not really a problem, but no one around here works on weekends much less volunteers so unfortunately no luck there. I have some irons in the fire though so we shall see.