Options

A+ and Network+

j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
I just wanted to get an idea if anyone with just these two certs was able to land an entry level job. I'm in the midst of a career change, and recently got my A+ and have been applying to help desk and desktop support jobs like crazy... 16 Jobs this past week. I haven't had any luck yet as I have no related experience. In about a week or so I'll be taking my Net+ exam.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck landing an entry level job with these two certs and no related experience.

Comments

• Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I've got both (A+ and N+) and no PROFESSIONAL experience. I do have some computer science courses under my belt (entry, i.e. prog in C, prog in C++, assembly language, intro to comp sci etc). I have recently been offered a position and got it on the strength of my A+ (didn't have the Net+ until this past week) and my phone and in-person interviews. I'm currently waiting for my clearance to come through which is necessary to start work.

The way you tailor your resume is crucial. Use all experience as leverage, no matter how small. Anything is better than nothing, IMHO. Also make sure you build a solid connection with the recruiters you're dealing with. If they remember you, they'll call you first.

I would suggest Dice.com as well as CareerBuilder and Monster. I posted my resume 4 months ago and still get calls for A+ related work. Persistence is key, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck if finding a job is your goal.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like geoffrey said, it's your resume that gets you that initial phone call from a recruiter/employer. Maybe post it up here and we can critique it for you. I'd also recommend to keep pounding away on the certs, perhaps start working on the CCENT/CCNA. Whether you list it on your resume is one thing, but the knowledge you'd gain from studying for a higher-level cert can be invaluable in a face-to-face interview.

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    I haven't gotten any calls for my net+. not sure what to do ....
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A few points to make (IMO)

If it's your first job it can take a little bit longer. Try going through a recruiting agency and see if they call place you. From there who knows you may get hired on and ascend. Worse case you get a job and gain experience.

Binge applying is good as long as you meet the job requirements at least some of them. I personal believe applying for 1-2 jobs a day is a more manageable way of going about it. That way you don't burn out. Whatever you do don't get discouraged we have all gone through this, or at least most of us have.

@Gdeus I am assuming you are applying for networking jobs? If my assumption is correct, I would recommend getting the CCNA. It's almost like the rite of passage for a network professional. I have seen it replace a year or two of experience in networking. In fact we had a technician finally pass his CCNA 6th time and a couple of weeks later he had a networking job at a hospital. Obviously there are no guarntees but the CCNA can open some doors.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm definitely thinking of going after the CCNA after I am done with the Net+, I'm hoping that I will be able to more easily navigate the CCENT test after the net+. Although I don't have "IT" experience, I have been working in recording studios as an Audio Engineer for the last 8 years, so I do have a great amount of technical experience. I'm gonna post my resume up here a little later today.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I definitely am highly motivated so I'll keep hitting the books and work on more certs.
  • Options
    Here it is guys, I obviously copied and pasted it in... I tried to fix any formatting issues that happened from the copy/paste. Let me know how this looks to you. I also put in the Net+ even though I don't have it yet, I'm taking the test at the end of next week. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Jan Petrov

xxx N. Spaulding Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036•x.xxxxxx@mac.com•(xxx) xxx-xxxx

Summary of Qualifications:
    •Outstanding communication skills; 8 years experience providing support for high end clientele on a daily basis
    •Adept at solving computer related issues, both software and hardware
    •Willingness to learn and grow personally and professionally
    •Resourceful, sharp, able to improvise and devise creative and professional solutions

Technical Skills:
    Operating Systems: Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X 10.6/10.7
    Hardware: PCs, Apple Computers, Laptops, Printers, Scanners, Mobile Devices, Wireless Routers, and Audio/Video peripherals

Technical Certifications:
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+

Professional Experience:
    Soundtrack NY New York, NY Nov.2004-Apr. 2011
    ADR Recordist/Music Engineer
    •Recorded weekly ADR for TV shows including: Law & Order (All Versions), Gossip Girl, White Collar, Royal Pains, and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire & Bored to Death. Film credits include: The Dark Knight, Robin Hood, Fair Game, and Miracle at St Anna.
    •House Music Engineer and Assistant Engineer to legendary music mixer/producer Andy Wallace. Worked on numerous major label releases such as Coldplay: Viva La Vida and Guns n Roses: Chinese Democracy.
    •Extensive troubleshooting during recordings including: signal flow, audio/video equip, and computer issues.

AnEFX Inc. Burbank, CA Aug. 2011-Current
    Freelance ADR Mixer
    •Recorded principal ADR and Loop Group for Suits and Warehouse 13

Oracle Post Burbank, CA Mar. 2012-Current
    Freelance ADR/VO Mixer
    •ADR and Voice Over recording

Education:
    •AS Degree in Audio Production, 2004
    Art Institute of New England, Brookline, MA
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    As N2 said. I would suggest going to staffing agencies/temp agencies/recruiters. They will get you into a temporary solution so you can get some experience. The longer the experience, the easier it seems to get.
  • Options
    I'd love some resume feedback if anyone wants to give me some. I know with no IT experience this is a very key aspect.

Thanks
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    put down freelance IT exp maybe
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Finding an entry level job is about luck.

A+ certificate will probably help you land a job in some IT call center or basic IT help desk.