Options

It has been a great week for my entry level IT job hunt!

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been on the IT job market for a few months now, beginning right after passing the 70-680, I dove in head first with a shotty resume and no experience. Needless to say it has been one let down after another.

I have made two major changes since I started and the results have been astounding! First off, I passed the 70-685 exam which gave me the title of MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Technician, I have also revised my resume multiple times based on critiques from this site..thanks guys!! The second change was the most effective for me, I posted my resume up about 3 times and each time gathered responses and fine tuned it accordingly. I realized that a resume isn't something that can be written in a day, it needs to be treated like a fine piece of art and detailed, critiqued, and re-detailed over a period of time. After my last critique I did an overhaul and changed the format and almost instantly started getting replies from actual companies looking to hire, not just the temp agencies that have been borderline spamming me as of late.

So here is what I have lined up so far, I have 4 interviews total:

One for a NOC position which I believe pays on the lower end but has full benefits.

A help desk position for a rather small company I have been corresponding with the CEO directly so it can't be that large which could be a good thing and could be bad, I'm not really sure, I have no clue what the compensation for this one is.

I have another help desk position for a medical supply company, this one will have me scheduled Sat - Tues which is odd but hey, its an IT job!

Finally I have a Help Desk Intern interview scheduled for next Monday, this one confuses me, it is an intern position but it still pays? What is the difference then between this and a regular position?

Anyway, I just figured I'd share this good news with the community, hopefully one of these interviews will land me a job .. (crosses fingers)
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First off congrads for all that you have achieved.

I personally love your strategy of skipping over the CompTIA's and going for the MCITP Desktop Support Tech certification. I can't stress how awesome this strategy is from my personal opinion. Well done!

Kudos on redoing your resume and getting it current and professional looking. Another huge win!

Now go land one of those jobs and learn as much as you can. Experience is your next certification and make sure to get lots and lots of it!
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks! I chose the MCITP route to stand out in a sea of A+s' and it does seem to be getting me noticed. I have nothing against the A+ or the ammount of information that it covers, but from the perspective of someone with no IT experience or certification knowledge (which are the majority of hiring decision makers in low level IT from what I hear) seeing the A+ on every other resume doesn't really make it stand out IMO.

My next goal is to hopefully gain enough insight in to the field to make an educated decision as to which area of the IT field I would like to focus my career on if any.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You made the right move.
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Very nice! Yes, the resume is definitely something that you need to keep on top of and make revision to it as many times as you see necessary.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5