Options

Canadian Enrollment to WGU

MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had an experience attending WGU as a Canadian Citizen. I have looked through their transfers and I didnt see anything particularly enlightening.

I recently finished a 3-Year CAAT Diploma, I am unsure what this would translate to in the States and how much credit I might get transferred over if i were able to attend WGU.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm sure someone might chime in here but I would try contacting WGU to get more information.
  • Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm Canadian, and I plan on enrolling at WGU in September. I'm currently completing a couple of general courses at straighterline.com. I've seen the results of many transfer evaluations here at TE, and I was disappointed when I received mine. Only a couple of certifications and one course that I did in college transferred in. I have about 30 courses to do, however I still plan on attending WGU as the school options locally would require me to attend school part time for 4-6 years in the evenings. At WGU, I can do courses at my convenience.

WGU seems to have generous transfer evaluations for american students only. I would apply anyway because if you get someone from TE to refer you, your application evaluation is free instead of $65. You may as well apply and see what you get, then go from there. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
  • Options
    Thanks foofighters.

Yea, I'm not sure it makes sense investing another 3+ish years online with WGU if my program has many transfer options for Canadian institutions with 2+ years to completion.

I just liked the online at your own pace bit.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    It totally depends on you on how fast you are able to finish. I will be completing 60 CUs this term. There's only 120CUs in a whole degree progam. If I had to do it from scratch, I could easily do it in 3 terms, that's only 18 months.
  • Options
    Definitely a good point and thanks for the insight.

How might time do you find yourself putting into courses / etc to complete at that rate? Is it manageable with a full-time job?

Thanks
  • Options
    It depends on how much experience you have. I had some IT courses that wouldn't transfer because they were too old and all of my liberl arts courses transferred in. The majority of classes can be completed in 2 weeks, some only requiring 8 to 12 hours of work. A couple of them required quite a lot more like Java Programming and the Cisco courses, of course depending on your skill level.
  • Options
    kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not a Canadian Citizen, but Im about to take up a Job in Canada and I already talked to WGU and it seems as long as prometric is in my area Im ok. PLus Im starting some straightline courses next month and Hope to start WGU in Jan for Two semesters.
  • Options
    Be aware that CompTIA and Cisco exams must be taken at Pearson Vue and the Microsoft MTA exams must be taken at Certimetrics. Professional level Microsoft exams must be taken at Prometric. All of the other WGU specific exams can be taken at Prometric or with a webcam.
  • Options
    Thanks,

Yea we have both Prometric/Pearon Vue centers here. I'm more interested in what sort of credit I would get for the post-secondary education I have..I think I'll have to go through that. I think a 3-year CAAT Diploma would lie close to or a bit above an Associates Degree in the states. I am not fully aware of the translation.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    You might have to get your Canadian transcripts evaluated by a third-party organization that maps foreign courses to US courses to get the full transfer value.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Valsacar wrote: »
    You might have to get your Canadian transcripts evaluated by a third-party organization that maps foreign courses to US courses to get the full transfer value.

I'm currently enrolled to WGU and what Valsacar said is true. WGU won't look at your Canadian transcript. You HAVE to get your canadian transcript evaluated by a US organization. And then, you will have a better idea of what can be transferred and what can't. I used that one IERF - International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
  • Options
    Okay thanks,

So basically I submit my transcripts to them, they evaluate and give me something to provide to WGU for my application?
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Mutata wrote: »
    Okay thanks,

So basically I submit my transcripts to them, they evaluate and give me something to provide to WGU for my application?

exactly, and you can ask them to send the official evaluation directly to WGU. I think that WGU only take transcripts coming directly from the institutions. they will of course send you a copy.
  • Options
    Sounds interesting.

Appreciate the info. I want to upgrade to a Bachelors, but mostly interested in the online deal. I did the traveling for 3 years icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Mutata, I completed the same program (CTY) and would advise you to look into Davenport University.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    Thanks WiseWun, I also contacted them but I believe WGU's structure and accreditation is a better option for me. Plus pricing for Davenport is pretty over-the-top
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    They are accredited as well. How many years/courses did they offer to transfer?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    3, I would only have to do 1
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    I did my bachelors with them , and now doing my masters with WGU..no issues with them....you might have to just be forcefull with you getting transfer credit, and make sure you get your full share of transfer credit...

otherwise no issues, and no issues getting contracts and jobs with a WGU Degree, (i do have a canadian university degree to)
  • Options
    kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any recent student of straightline here?
  • Options
    daneeeeedaneeeee Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just reviving an old thread! Just got admitted for March 1 for BS Software Development! Based in Ottawa, ON.