Options

how to soon to look for new position when just finished bachelors

Hello, I know the rule of thumb for new graduates is try to find a job within the first 6 months after graduation and the likely hood of getting a job reduces at time progresses. Just was wondering if this rule still applies if you are in the field already or at least kind of in the field. As the only voice experience i will have is deploying cucme/voip phones in the office and warehouse.

My plan is once i graduate to tackle the ccnp voice in 6 months then look for employment. I'm in jersey and i see jobs right now looking for ccna voice/ccnp voice experience for voip support roles with cucm etc one of them listed as entry level another doesnt have experience requirements so the possibility of finding employment in voice isnt out of the question.

Will my chances in finding a job reduce if i look for employment 6 months - 1year after graduation?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think it will decrease, but why wait? If there is a job you want then apply for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If anything, you should be looking for work B4 you graduate, not wait till after. Where did you go to school?
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    If you had some VoIP experience, there is a job just posted for a contract position in Middletown NJ.

Job Description:
    • CVoIP/BVoIP VoIP Technical Support Application SME (Subject Matter Expert) has the ability to perform and coordinate complex trouble resolution for AT&T’s Business and Consumer Voice Over IP platforms. In addition, SME responsibility includes support for the VoIP applications and life cycle maintenance teams within the VOIP NRC and Fault Management Groups.

To be considered for this position the candidate must meet the following criteria:
    • Absolutely have strong UNIX, SIP, and/or VoIP Applications related skills.
    • Be willing to meet the demands of a 24x7 position including rotating on-call, night and weekend work and other out of hours support.
    • Have a broad level of advanced technical knowledge, combined with the conceptual ability to relate work performed to the overall VoIP platform.
    • Ability to proactively identify and troubleshoot VoIP service impacting troubles.

• Because this position partners with AT&T Labs, Technical Development, Advanced Technical Support, the VOIP Fault Management teams, and external vendors, communication and teamwork skills are also necessary for success.
    • Teamwork with these various groups reduces troubles that may impact service availability and secures long term fixes that will prevent future service affecting failures.
    • VoIP experience and good UNIX skills are key to meeting the requirements for this job.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would apply for it but i want to be well versed when comes interview time hence why i want to tackle the ccnp v for 6 months after graduation and really sound like the man in the interview. I know those positions wont be available but i have the companies saved for when i am looking i'll send them my resume.

also i've been at my current job for only 5 1/2 months so i dont want it to look bad on me to jump ship so early even though i want too as i am incredibly bored here. Can't really complain right now i essentially get paid to fill a seat but that little cool factor wore off after 3 months when things got real slow. Hence why i'm on the board so often lol.

I figure it'd probably be best to have my bachelors to make my next move into the networking field but was wondering if being a "new" graduate will give me a leg up.
  • Options
    I've come across to many of these jobs that require voice and it's next on my list of certifications, but in the mean time I'm studying for the CCIE. Once the money starts flowing again I guess I will take at least the CCNA voice exam so I can at least be in the running.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    now playing catchup with the posts...

@wilson im finishing up my associates at thomas edison have 2 classes left. I then plan to finish bachelors at wgu in i.t.

@mrbishop i seen alot of sweet positions go by on craigslist just want to get a year in at this place (january) then i'll determine what i want to do.

I may stay at my current job till next summer to give time to complete my bachelors did the math after i talked to a wgu advisor and after everything is transferred i should only have to take 36 credits so i think it'll be attainable in one term.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't wait at all. A BS plus a few certs, including CCNA, is plenty to get a new position. Getting CCNP will just increase your value later.

That being said, I don't see how waiting will hurt your chances, either.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Getting that experience its the best thing you can do right now.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    @mrbishop yea seems it may be easier to break into voice then routing and switching. After taking everythign into consideration I decided on going the voice route. Which is funny because 2 years ago i kept telling my older brother which is a desktop/server consultant voice sucks when he would tell me thats where i should migrate my skills too.
  • Options
    LOL, he was definitely right and I'll be going that same route very soon.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    yea he wants me to get my voice skills together so i can go consult with him and setup various locations with voip. He said its amazing how many businesses still are using pots.
  • Options
    Yeah, the transition from POTS or PBX to an entirely new system can be costly. I know you can keep the old PBX system and integrate it will newer voip call manager equipment to cut cost or something like that...didn't really get that deep into my studies for voice.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    Thing that is funny is how some of you guys say go for the positions I mentioned. Which I do find mighty encouraging but 6 months ago when i first started my job I posted a thread asking if 6 months experience was enough to go elsewhere for a jr net engineer position and everyone said NO! Has me a little confused to say the least.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It won't hurt applying. Its not like those same jobs are just going to wait around for you to be ready.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yea i wouldnt mind doing some consulting work and making some side money. It does seem costly but I suppose you have to look at as a long term investment. Basically what you could be saving overtime with additional features.
  • Options
    I don't look for advice form anyone when posting for jobs! I will just apply to any position that I feel closely matches my skill set. Applying for a position can't hurt you and the most that will happen is you won't get a call for an interview.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    Oh i know those wont be around when im looking but i know im not ready to fully support voice just yet. As I am still planning this deployment documenting everything steps etc so i dont forget and miss something day of.
  • Options
    Absolutely, but when it's an enterprise network, getting the funds for the project can be a problem along with convincing management of the cost savings, since you'll get the old adage of "If it's not broken then why fixed it?" attitude. Since, VoIP has become more mainstream, I don't think it will take much convincing as much but can we pay for it within our fiscal budget.
    Degrees
    Certificaions
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    6 months after you graduate? Nah, should be 6 months before you graduate. Have to remember you're not the only one graduating and there will be competition. Pump those resumes out there like they're going out of style!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Wilson502Wilson502 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @The_Grinch, thats exactly what i said! In my senior Success packet that i got at CSU Fresno they tell u to start looking for work in your field at least 6 months prior to graduating (I assume they give this to all CSU Seniors)
    Currently Studying: MCITP:SA, B.S. Business Administration with Focus in Computer Info Systems, Cal State Fresno
    Degree Completion: Spring 2013
    Future Studies: MCITP:EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA/CCNP, VCP5, Security+, Linux+, SQL
  • Options
    @mrbishop Well it wouldn't be to enterprises but small to medium size business. Cost effective solutions can be planned.

Edit: realized what i typed up on my phone didnt make sense

Well I wanted to hammer out the ccnp voice right after i'm done with the bachelors actually am itching to start my studies now. Hence why i want to look for a new position right after I attain it(ccnp voice) or the knowledge (if I don't clear all the exams in time).
  • Options
    I had a buddy who graduated before me (he had semesters, I had quarters) so in January he knew as long as he didn't royally screw up he was going to graduate. So I told him, start pumping out resumes and put your graduation date on there. He gave me the yeah yeah, so in March I say it to him again and get the same answer. Come May he graduates and still hasn't put one resume out. In June he finally decides to start, but doesn't get a call for one position (he was a communications major). Ultimately he goes back to school for a Master's in Social Work (he always did service projects) and I believe learned his lesson this time. Worst thing you'll hear is "we need someone immediately", but I've known companies who will hold the spot for you.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Did your buddy have any experience relative to his degree?
  • Options
    On the communications side, student projects and a couple 1 day PA gigs. He is a manager at a movie theater as well, so good with the public and all that stuff. Social Work wise, just school, an internship, and a part time gig working with troubled youth.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff