Options

IT Interview Question

LauZaIMLauZaIM Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Ok so normally I would want to answer all of my questions on my own so I don't end up in a position I don't want or couldn't do, but this is a fairly general question. I am trying to figure out what is wanted with this question.

"Describe your skills interacting with people inside and outside of your workgroup."

I don't know how my skills would be any different when working with people inside or outside..Any suggestions on what angle to take this question would be appreciated..

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    More or less can you demonstrate that you can clearly communicate with people outside your department. Such as explaining why your department needs a capitol expenditure for 500 grand for new hardware. That is how I'd interpreter the question.
  • Options
    whirichardsonwhirichardson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is a very general question used to elicit information about your personality and how you view yourself. These type of questions are from the interviewing techniques called Behavior Based interviewing. I recommend anyone who needs a good job (that exlcudes Lotto winners or Bill Gates) be familar with this technique or style. Sit in the HR or managers seat for a sec. they don't what to hire a tech wonder that can't get along or can't write an intelligible email. Asking general questions or open-ended questions allows you to provide more clues to what you are like or who you are.

My best interview tip is be honest but don't add one more detail than necessary. Be prepared for questions like this before you interview. Remember you are being evaluated for what you bring to the table not what you want to be paid or how many vacation days they offer. Most of us analylitical types either blather on too much or provide one word answers. Either type will erode your stock with an interviewer.