Options

How do you negotiate a salary?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I always low ball myself because i think they won't bite.

Comments

• Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    its always better to put more than ur worth. then to negotiate down imo
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    And be confident, along with having a reason or two on why you think you are worth that much.

I've always thrown myself in higher then I expect (just not completely off the wall) and work your way down.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Start with having more confidence in yourself and your skills. If you don't think you're worth it then how will the employer? Next, do your research. There is a lot written out there on salary negotiation. Here's a few links that I've found particularly helpful:
    Ask The Headhunter®: FAQ Salary 1
    Ask The Headhunter: Keep Your Salary Under Wraps
    The Noel Smith-Wenkle Salary Negotiation Method
    Salary Negotiations - Salary Negotiating Tips From Jack Chapman
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    whirichardsonwhirichardson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Salary negotiation is very simple once you have done your homework. 1) you should already know what most companies are paying for the position in your market/city. Bigger corporations will pay more than midsized firms and consulting firms may pay more but want skilled and certified people. 2) what was the range or number given to you by either the HR screener or recruiter? That is your base to work from there. 3) most larger firms have a position/salary range divided into thirds for job progression. They usually offer you the lower third if you have less experience/skills, the middle third for more skilled/experienced and rarely offer the top third because that doesn't leave any raise/promotion headroom.
    Most positions are filled about in the range advertised since these folks do their homework. If you find youself in the nice place where you hit it out of the park and they really want you over all the other canidates you may have some leverage. In todays market don't expect lots of counter offers.

Forgot the best part; before you ever go in for the interview decide on what your bottom line for salary is. Now you never have to think about a low offer becuase you have already thought it through.
  • Options
    drsketchdrsketch Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you lowball yourself, then you will most likely try to re-negotiate a larger salary 1-2 years down the road when you get sick of getting paid an amount that you feel is beneath you. Aim for the stars, but be realistic and honest.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KNOW what you are worth. This can take experience if you are just starting out. Because I know what I'm worth, it makes EVERYTHING easier. I know when to tell them no, and I know when to take a job. Also, I don't care what everyone else is being paid because I know my worth. Males things much less stressful.

Also know there are a ton of IT jobs for good people. Saying no to many subpar opportunities can prove to be worth it.

Take a look at the starting salary thread for more information on your way to knowing your worth: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/56869-how-much-your-starting-i-t-salery.html
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Be honest and confident in what you want. Don't sell yourself short. Try to feel out the range before you spend a bunch of time interviewing but avoid hammering out an actual number until they are invested in you and decided you are the one they want.

The first time I asked for a six figure salary I was extremely nervous, afraid I was being greedy, etc but the fact of the matter is they asked me what I wanted to leave the job I was currently in and I told them. I was blown away when they came back the next day and said basically "Sure, no problem." This gave me a lot of confidence in future salary negotiations.

On the flip side though I have never negotiated a salary while unemployed. I think that has a whole different set of dynamics to it.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After 25 years in IT, I have never negotiated salary. And it has actually served me very well.

Perhaps, it's just old-fashion, when I work for any employer, I have a belief that it's a business partnership where my value to my employer is based on the perceived value that I bring to the organization. And as such, my compensation would always be fair because of supply-and-demand economics (yes - I do believe in capitalism). I.e. if the offer is too low, I do not accept and go someplace else. If the offer, is too high, then I get to be the first person on any lay-off if my value cannot be justified.

After any job interview, I usually get a sense of how much I believe that I should be compensated. If I believe that the offer is fair, then I take it. But I never ask for more.

I also use the term "compensation" and not "salary" because a salary is one sliver of any total compensation package. It doesn't matter if you are a recent-college-grad or a CIO; health benefits, vacation, 401k matching, employee stock purchase plans, perks (training, tuition, commuting reimbursement), and even management culture (i.e. do you get to work from home sometimes or get to leave early for personal errands.) are all part of the total compensation package.

I highly recommend that people think in terms of total compensation and not just salary.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask for the range for the position that way you know off the bat if they can pay you what you're looking for (this is negotiation 101 stuff). then i ask for 90-120% of the range assuming i exceed there requirements.