Options

Jumping ship after 1 month at new employer

pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I would really appreciate your view on what I am thinking about doing. About a month ago, I was hunting for a new job and wanted to get out of the old one as fast as possible. I had many interviews and got an offer from my current employer which I hesitated about taking because I didn't think it was the best fit. I ended up taking it because I wanted to leave my old employer asap. The current job is not challenging at all and I dread going to work. I don't think I'll have much opportunities to do what I really want and that being doing systems planning and implementation. Also, it's at an MSP in the SMB market and I've realized that I don't really enjoy working for MSP at all, unless I do System Engineering stuff which is already being delegated to the current engineering team at the head office. I'm doing 2nd/3rd tier support at remote location.

Now, a head hunter who I contacted when I was in the job hunting process called me up asking if I am interested in a new position which sounds much better than what I am doing now. Additionally, I see another job ad that looks like a better fit for me. I have also come to realized that I want to work for the enterprise level employer. Now, I am debating whether it's okay if I get back in the job hunting process again and jump ship even though I've just started at the current position for about a month. I can start work early and go interviews after work so that won't be much of an issue.

I know it's unethical to leave after 1 month. I'm a very fair and loyal worker as I average about 3 years in my past employments, but now I'm much older and really need to look out for myself. I don't want to be miserable for another year at the current job. I am also thinking that it's better to leave now than wait 3 months since I'm still in the probation period.

What do you think? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    What is your previous experience like, OP?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you have realised your mistake in going for this role already, after a single month, then obviously its not the right move for you. if there are better opportunities out there in the area you wish to work in then i would not hesitate to make the move. Sadly its a dog eat dog world. do whats best for you before you get trapped.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually give a job 3 months before I am ready to pull the plug, but that is a rule I live by, not saying you should.

Generally after a month you have a good idea how things are going to be. If you have a offer I would consider taking it if you are not happy.

Like Nel mentioned, get out before you get trapped.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I'm not supporting job hopping, but life is too short to suffer at work, this is where we spend 1/3 of our lives at.
    do what you think will challenge you and prove your worthy, and get you more knowledge and satisfaction.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It happened to me as well. I wanted out, and so I left and took the first available. The problem with doing that is you cast your net out and grab the first fish and while you're fighting that one, bigger and better fish start tagging your other lines. I personally cut the line with the first fish after a month and hopped to a big fish that was more attuned with what I was looking for in a job. The 1 month job I leave off of my resume and I do some creative editing of my resume to cover the gap. I left the bad job in the middle of December and started the job I wanted at the end of January with the 1 month stint in between. so my resume dictates December as the end of one job and January as the start of the next. icon_wink.gif

As others have stated, life is too short to waste somewhere where it's obviously a wrong fit. If you feel strongly enough that it indeed is an incorrect fit and that the next job is, I'd say go for it. Of course, there's always a chance the next job will be much worse than the bad one you have now, so you have to just ask yourself is this situation so bad that I'm willing to gamble on another opportunity that may be much worse. Looking at it from that angle may reveal that the bad job isn't so bad. Good luck in your decision!
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    The job contract works both ways. As you might get fired in the first 1st month if they are not happy with you, so you might leave in your 1st month if you are not happy with them and I don't see anything wrong with that. Most people don't agree with that, but that's how I see it.
    The same thing for the job interviews - as I have to impress them and convince them that I am the right guy for them, they have to impress me and convince me that they are the right company for me. I've had enough interviews with companies which seem to forget the latter.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Sett wrote: »
    The job contract works both ways. As you might get fired in the first 1st month if they are not happy with you, so you might leave in your 1st month if you are not happy with them and I don't see anything wrong with that. Most people don't agree with that, but that's how I see it.
    The same thing for the job interviews - as I have to impress them and convince them that I am the right guy for them, they have to impress me and convince me that they are the right company for me. I've had enough interviews with companies which seem to forget the latter.
    That...is a REALLY good perspective. :D
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pusher wrote: »
    I know it's unethical to leave after 1 month.

Why?

If you don't feel that you fit the position then you need to either adapt or find a new position. Actually leaving quickly will save your current employer time and money to introduce you to everything.

Plus, do you think that they would hesitate a second to push you in front of the bus if their financial situation required it? It's a dog eat dog world...
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! There are a lot of great and valid points here. The replies here really help me with making my decision. It's obviously a different world nowadays and we need to look out for ourselves.

Really awesome community here at techexams.net!
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The trial period also goes for the employee as well. If you find out it's not a good fit, you should have no problems with looking for something better. I did that prior to relocating and left a job that was temporary for H&R block when I knew that once the tax season was done, that so was I. I switched to another company to get me by past that time frame until I found the job I wanted in my new area, then I jumped them. I didn't feel like I owed them anything, especially since it was lower pay than I really wanted to have.
  • Options
    I guess I feel kind of guilty for leaving so soon but as many of you made the point that it's better to leave sooner than later as they haven't invested in me that much yet. Plus, this is something that I haven't done before so I'm not sure how to handle it.

Before taking this job, I had a gut feeling that i should stick with my old employer and keep being patient, waiting for the right opening to come along, but lesson learned. However, it's still not too late to get out and my interviewing skill is still fresh.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know it can feel a bit weird to have to quit after a few weeks. I thought that I would offer the management viewport. Believe it or not -to there is actually such a thing as "job abadoment" - where an employee just decides to not show up . As long as you do all the normal stuff -offer 2 weeks or even to stay longer so they can transition cleanly. Basically, just do the right thing and dont burn bridges.

It is always understandable that a job isnt a good fit and most managers will appreciate knowing sooner before a big investment is made in your training. Be aware that your direct manager have be standoffish - that is to be expected. In some companies, your leaving is viewed as a failure or bad decision by the manager for not performing the duediligence to see if it was a good fit.

Also, if you are escoted out when you resign, dont take it personally, it just business. And is not an uncommon practice in this situation.

Good luck.
  • Options
    loneferretloneferret Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would jump ship after a month knowing it's not the right fit.
    Better now or else you'll feel worse as time goes by, and that may affect your work.

If you do leave, just remember not to mention that position in your next resume.
    :)