Options

Offer negotiation phase :

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
Hello All,

So if you went through a 5 step hiring process (Recruiter talk, Hiring manager phone screen, Face to face interview, Offer negotiation phase, and hiring phase) and in that process (prior to the negotiation phase) you gave them your range of income but then you realized you sold yourself short. Would it still be possible to obtain more than the range you gave them in the recruiting interview / phone screen phase? During offer negotiation phase? This phase they apparently got all the approvals and talked with the hiring manager on the offer they will first give present me.

I did this and realized that the max in my range I gave them would be my actual bare min (I should have figured this out prior recruiter calling me). I wrote a list down in terms of what I offer in experience, clearances, projects, and more. I plan to use that to raise my salary up more and I was curious is it still possible to raise my range as long as I don't botch this phase up?

EDIT

I was off on my calculation of living expenses in this new area (northern Virginia)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's going to be tough no question about it. You introduce a lot of risk in this process if you come out of the range. However, if it's not going to work out at the agreed range, what other choice do you have?

I would write down some solid reasons why the pay will need to increase. Go through the list and see if any look like solid reasons for asking for more money. Did they mention additional responsibilities in the interview after the financial requirements were discussed? That could be a way out. Being honest is important, that doesn't mean you can't use strategy when renegotiating your financial requirements.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    It's going to be tough no question about it. You introduce a lot of risk in this process if you come out of the range. However, if it's not going to work out at the agreed range, what other choice do you have?

They asked what I was expecting and I gave them a range (and I figured that the high end of my range would be best to maintain the same standard of living. Meaning an upward move not a lateral). They never stated anything after that and I also got the vibe from them that I was low balling it. Once I took more time into my planning I found out that I then I was. I figured it would not be easy.
    I would write down some solid reasons why the pay will need to increase. Go through the list and see if any look like solid reasons for asking for more money. Did they mention additional responsibilities in the interview after the financial requirements were discussed?

I wrote down four main reasons and the clearance one alone saves them at least 20k. We really did not talk about financial requirements yet just a quick question as "whats your expectations of salary? And I stated I'm not exactly sure but off the top of my head from $$k to $$k.
    That could be a way out. Being honest is important, that doesn't mean you can't use strategy when renegotiating your financial requirements.

True, I had more time to process everything and calculate it all out
  • Options
    After reading this post I don't think you're in that bad of shape. Just be upfront and tell them where you need to be to make this work. After doing some analysis you have discovered you will need N amount of money to make this work. Financial planning is an iterative process and the more information you discover useful the better your estimates and analysis tend to be. You ran some numbers and redid your forecast sounds like you did the right thing.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with N2IT. Basically tell them the same thing you are telling us and I don't think they will have that big of a deal with it. If they do time to look for something else that will give you what you think you are worth. If you do end up taking a job for less than what you are expecting you will probably be looking to jump ship sooner rather than later anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great advice @N2. I agree completely. Even if it's a bit tough at first it should be fine if the position is right for you. If they won't pay you what you reasonably think you're worth then the position wasn't right anyway. As long as you handle it appropriately it should be fine.

Now as an example, we tried to hire someone at $x and he wanted $y. The manager told him the absolute max we could do, and he said okay and went ahead with the interviewing process. After we extended the offer for $x, he said he need $y. This was the wrong way to handle it, and he did not receive a counter offer. The manager wouldn't have hired him even if he'd agreed to $x at that point.

In this case, you gave a rough estimate up-front and realized later it was the wrong amount. This should be fine.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thanks all! Your advice has helped a lot.

@N2IT

Thanks! I'm still a noob when it comes to offer talks but I think I really grew after todays talk.

@networker

I agree if they were trying to low ball me and basically underemployed then I would wonder how the rest of the company acts / is with their business practices / policies
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Great advice @N2. I agree completely. Even if it's a bit tough at first it should be fine if the position is right for you. If they won't pay you what you reasonably think you're worth then the position wasn't right anyway. As long as you handle it appropriately it should be fine.

I agree, it was hard for me to judge were I currently stand and were I'm moving too. I talked to a co worker and he really helped me out a lot with offers and what I'm worth in his eyes. I was offered a certain amount and it was smack down in the middle of the range I gave prior. they then asked me "Is this were you want to be?" I then stated that after some research on the area and what I'm bringing with all the exp with varied technologies, that I was looking for roughly 5 to 9 k more than what they were offereing. She stated that she would talk to the hiring manager and see what they can come up with. She was really nice too and understood (much better than some past recruiters I bumped into).
    Now as an example, we tried to hire someone at $x and he wanted $y. The manager told him the absolute max we could do, and he said okay and went ahead with the interviewing process. After we extended the offer for $x, he said he need $y. This was the wrong way to handle it, and he did not receive a counter offer. The manager wouldn't have hired him even if he'd agreed to $x at that point.

Yea I always try to get the range or max the position offers first (This time I did not though) but I agree with you that person wasted everyones time and energy.
  • Options
    Glad things worked out. Keep us posted on the final results.