Options

home lab question

pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am looking to setup a home lab. as a part of that setup, i would like to get a security appliance that includes IDS or IPS. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    for CCNA Security? You don't need a dedicated security appliance for CCNA Security...
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    No. i actually just passed my CCNA Security. however, i want to further my knowledge in this area.
  • Options
    I'd start with an ASA 5505, at least theoretically that would be the first appliance you'll be working with for CCNP Security. The IPS modules can be had and installed on any 800 series ISR however those can be quite pricey.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    I'd start with an ASA 5505, at least theoretically that would be the first appliance you'll be working with for CCNP Security. The IPS modules can be had and installed on any 800 series ISR however those can be quite pricey.

Looks like the 881 has IPS on it. Is there a better option?
  • Options
    for the price, not really. i haven't really researched much into it as that's probably going to my last exam for the track. i might just install an IPS module in one of my 3825s.
  • Options
    Thanks. what else would you recommend? 1 more router and a swtich?