Options

Where to start if you're changing careers?

VelkyVelky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there. So I've decided to switch careers and i'm at a point where I need some clarity from people who are where I'd like to be. A little background, I'm a 29 year old full time pharmacy tech and part time tech for a local break/fix PC company. I've decided to switch careers because , short of becoming a pharmacist, there is nowhere for me to go. I've started working on a network administration associates degree at a local state college, and while i'm very close to finishing it, aside from a very general overview of networking and IT in general, I'm left with more questions than answers.

The biggest question is where to begin? I've spoken to professors at the school and some people suggest the Comp TIA A+ certification, some have said to go straight for a CCNA ( which seems like it would be incredibly difficult without a lot more hands-on experience), and some have told me not to worry about certifications at all and work on just getting an internship and experience ( which I'm not putting nearly as much stock in).

So I was wondering if there any "late bloomers" out there who have had a similar change in career with bare minimum IT experience, and how you went about (or are going about) getting your certifications or how you got the experience that every job seems to require.

Comments

• Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    In my opinion, all certifications will help you learn more about technology and possibly get job interviews. The CCNA can be challenging for those with little to no experience, but it's not "incredibly difficult". Writing a dissertation is incredibly difficult :)

My advice to you is stay in school (continue to a bachelor's program), get specialized certification(s) in your area of choice, and most importantly start applying. It may take time but if you're persistent enough it will pay off.
  • Options
    VelkyVelky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fantastic, thank you. :) That actually helps put my mind at ease. I wasn't sure if there was a progression of certifications I should go through, or just start with what I think I can get and study my butt off.
  • Options
    HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a very similar situation. I'm transitioning from a military career to an IT career (eventually sysadmin). I have the same questions and concerns you do. It's hard to know where to start. You can't go wrong with education. Some certs like the ccna "suggest" some network experience. It seems the IT entry path is with help desk/customer support. I would recommend some entry level certs like A+, network+. You can do these on your own. I have low IT experience outside of home networks and basic desktop support at work. In a few months I'll have to make the permanent career switch. I think you are on the right track: education and certs. Best of luck!
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think "where to start" is the biggest roadblock people face when changing careers, in any direction. Unfortunately, there is no one right answer, there are two many variables such as locale, experience and current competencies. Some geographic areas have more opportunities than others, and some employers are more willing to give newbies a chance than others are. I think whoever told you experience and internships was dead on. You need experience to get the job, but you need a job to get experience....see the pickle? If you're stuck in a spot like that, interning might be the best option for you.

While you can't necessarily go wrong with education and certs, experience is just as important. I don't look down on A+ or Net+, but I do think they are expensive tests for individuals to tackle without assistance or the guarantee of ROI. Would your current employer pay for the tests or at least help with the cost? More important than the cert is the knowledge. I think having basic A/N+ level knowledge is important for most IT jobs, but you don't necessarily need the certification.
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    get some training and certs, say it out on the resume "seeking entry level position" etc.
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I also am at the career change point; having obtained the 3 certs a Padawan should have for basic knowledge (and to prove that you can do it, pun intended). Chasing the Entry-Level positions is where I have chosen to break in at, with my first interview tomorrow morning (wish me luck). Someone added that you can't give up if this is the desired path to travel. Oh and don't get frustrated (which has happened to me but I've re-gained some sanity). The volunteering is also on the radar for the obvious and mentioned reasons. All in all, it WILL HAPPEN because the jobs are there. Get the certs as one of my instructors repeatedly mentioned, you can never have too many and you don't what you MAY get asked to do.