Options

Doing IT Work in Craigslist

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking about doing side IT work (fixing users PC via Craigslist). Does anyone have any experience and if so kindly please offer any advice that I need to be aware of. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Just go ahead and start. Depending on the area you live you'll either get a lot of calls or nothing.
    By the way, don't expect people paying decent money to fix their problems. I even had customers who would argue about 25 bucks... That was in Orange County, CA, one of the wealthiest areas in the country.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I agree with what sratakhin. People off CL expect pizza techs. Go through a site like onforce or workmarket. At least you know you'll get paid over $100 per work order in most cases
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I did it in my area... customers definitely trying to nickel and dime. I 2nd onforce, I used to do installs for compusa in customer homes and I'd get like $80.00 an installation
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I wouldn't even waste my time for the small stuff. Not worth the headaches that have been mentioned already.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't waste your time on CL
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It actually wasn't that bad. Of course, there were some customers that I didn't want to have, but overall, people were nice and I made enough to get by.
    Don't expect to have many calls in the beginning though. I got most business from people I already knew and their friends.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have done IT work on craigslist and it's been hit or miss in my experience what you will get paid for different jobs. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    I am thinking about doing side IT work (fixing users PC via Craigslist). Does anyone have any experience and if so kindly please offer any advice that I need to be aware of. Thanks.

Avoid

I did one job and I didn’t get paid. I told the customer I wouldn’t charge them if I couldn’t fix the problem.
    It was connecting a computer to an HDTV, sounds easy right? Well… there was some documentation on the internet I found that said if you did something to the display settings on the computer it would mess up the display. The user kept clicking past all these windows, and they told me they had it working before. I couldn’t figure why it wouldn’t work, but I think they selected the wrong settings at some point when they tried to install the device. Funny thing is that the customer told me they had the HDTV display working before. Add to this that the customer had no tv reception at all.(they lived in the basement of this old warehouse) To make matters the user had no mouse at all, instead they used something called a Wacomb tablet( Picture/link below), so I had to learn how to use that and troubleshoot their problem. Wacom Intuos5 Medium Pen & Touch Tablet PTH650 B&H Photo

Like everyone else said avoid these jobs, and hit up work market and onforce. Onforce requires 2 years of IT experience; however, Work market is a great option if you don’t meet the 2 years of IT experience required by Onforce.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor