Options

Any tips for an SAP support job interview?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was recently contacted by a recruiter about a potential SAP support tier 2 position. This is part of an engagement effort with a service provider and the company/customer.

I was flat out honest about being interested in the job even though it's been two years since I touch that ERP. I have very little technical knowledge, but some functional, something you would find on a help desk. No specialized skills in one module, but general knowledge of several modules. I told the account manager flat out I am not a SME in one particular module and he said don't worry about that.

I just wanted to vent. It sounds like my interview will be in July with a start date in the next following months, if I am selected.

It's very vertical, the only thing I could think of to do is buy an SAP R3 book (high level) and read through it to jog my memories of when I did support these modules. I spent ~3 years supporting SAP along with a host of other applications so I'm not a complete rookie.

Sorry for the rant I am a bit nervous and really hope this comes through.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Best of luck on the interview. It's always great just to get an interview.

I don't have any specific advice. Picking up a book and reading through it sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    Thanks for chiming in Paul
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    I'm actually studying the FI module now.... I hope you do well. SAP is good!
  • Options
    @ Newmove

The modules I have experience in FICO, MM, ESS, CRM, and BW.

I have a BW book which is extremely indepth, it covers how to configure and deploy a BW module in an enterprise environment. I've been reading through it on occasions, but I really need to get into the R3 book.
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ Newmove

The modules I have experience in FICO, MM, ESS, CRM, and BW.

I have a BW book which is extremely indepth, it covers how to configure and deploy a BW module in an enterprise environment. I've been reading through it on occasions, but I really need to get into the R3 book.

Wow!

You are a walking mySAP ERP.

I just want to get into that field too.
  • Options
    It's been two years off I am RUSTY! My mother was an ABAP programmer for a while before taking a huge pay increase back into COBOL LMAO. I know weird isn't it!

Keep me posted on your progress I am trained and a true believer in SAP.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I have no doubt that you'll nail the interview. Beyond that, they would be insane not to capitalize on your knowledge and potential.

Isn't COBOL still big in government / defense? Or was it Fortran?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    COBOL is still huge she is making six figures and gets offers over that all the time. It's a freaking mystery to me.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    It's not a mystery. There's not a high demand for it outside of the financial industry but there is a dire need for good COBOL programmers that isn't being met because it's considered an obscure programming language and not covered at all by computer science educational courses because it's not "in-demand" by the majority of software companies. Being a COBOL programmer is like being a Ferrari mechanic in that nobody is going to pay you for your skills unless you work where the Ferrari's are.
  • Options
    Except she can do her work remotely.