Options

What to do when you can't troubleshoot the problem?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Generally,

Start with a Hypothesis
    2) Test
    3) Observe
    4) Revise hypothesis
    5) Repeat

That's the brute force way.
    It helps if you knew what the inputs to a system are and what the expected output is.

Of course, when all else fails, you ask for help.
    Customer support (if available)
    Discussion boards,
    IRC,

Occasionally you will run into an issue where the answer won't be found on Google and your stuck with a "First principles" type situation.
    When these arise you simply have to break down each component of a system, understand how each is supposed to behave and what factors, external or internal will affect it.
    It helps if you can construct a mock-up and attempt to reproduce the issue.

In some situations, the variable in question might be outside your scope of influence, in which case you should have documented your troubleshooting steps before you approach external entities for their assistance.
    (eg, bug reports)
    The most annoying thing to most it folk are bug reports that turn out to be misconfiguration.
    Of course, you can also argue that poor documentation exists .

This of course, can be annoying and time consuming, I've seen many orphaned requests for help.
    Occasionally someone will post that the issue was resolved without describing the resolution , which can be frustrating if the post is over 3 yrs old!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The secret to a succesful IT career is:

[28247509.jpg

If we were allowed big picture signatures, I would be required to use this. I am going to frame this in my office :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reminds me of a day where three people tried to fix an NTLDR error on a server for 5 hours until I came to the shift, removing the floppy from the drive to find the server boots up fine :p

So yea - break it down :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    icon_lol.gif
    Reminds me of something my dad told me about when he was teaching at the Torpedo-man's school in Orlando when the base was still there. He said they would set up their equipment in some elaborate fashion, tell the students a breakdown of the symptoms and let them have at it. Very rarely did anyone think to check the power cable...
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif
    Reminds me of something my dad told me about when he was teaching at the Torpedo-man's school in Orlando when the base was still there. He said they would set up their equipment in some elaborate fashion, tell the students a breakdown of the symptoms and let them have at it. Very rarely did anyone think to check the power cable...

OR the PSU on/off switch!!!
  • Options
    griffinalice29griffinalice29 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Google is the only solution in last to your queries, when you don't find any solutions. Just google it.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Use your resources, like Google and forums, like this one.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are not sure, ask.
    Don't make it worse.
    Take notes so you can refer to it in the future.
    Google
    Try and keep it simple. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on?
    For networking issues, knowing the OSI model is very helpful.
  • Options
    Abdul201288Abdul201288 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi there.

When I learnt ComPTIA A+ my Teach told me a Technique called "process of Elimination", Basically what I do is test EVERYTHING and then find out what the problem is. I know it can be long but it does the trick!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually take the team out to a long lunch which MAY or MAY NOT include beers. I always fix the problem after.