Cisco Catalyst WS-C3550-24-SMI \w EMI 24 Port vs 48 Port

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
What are the pros and cons to 24 port vs 48 port switches?

The reason I ask is my order arrived from Ebay and I received 2 x 48 port switches. However, I purchased 24 port.

Is this a big deal? Or would you rather have 48 port?

I also have a 24 port WS-C3560-24PS-S, from a different order that is good to go!

Should I file a PayPal dispute and try to return or exchange? Or did I score with better equipment for my home lab?

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The more the merrier!
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    In a lab environment I can't see there being a difference.. just one has double the amount of ports. If anything they will be worth more :p

Source: A random guess :D
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only difference I see is you have more ports on the one switch meaning you saved yourself room due to the fact you have the processing going on off one backplane as opposed to two.

I don't believe there are any disadvantages.

Is it the same model just a 48 port one?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer 48's for my lab, just because if I get a 24 port and want to do a lot of cabling (ie: to various routers/inter-switch links, etc), and find a bad port, it's a bit more difficult to move things around..48 give a buffer I guess. It's all really preference, but I can't see a reason not to use 48 ports.
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Is it the same model just a 48 port one?

Yes, same model and specs, just 48 port, versus the 24 port I thought I was getting.