Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $40

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
Microsoft announced today that you can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99:
Microsoft wrote:
We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

When you use Windows.com to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant makes upgrading simple by walking you through the upgrade process step-by-step from purchase to download and then of course installation.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Wow M$ is really trying really hard to force Win8 down our throats. harder than usual even. I'm only gonna get it on one of my VMs. And only the trial version :) Revert Image ftw
    40$ is still a good price though.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I like the blog comment about "downgrading Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Professional." I don't think I'd spend $40 to do that either.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm interesting

Would be cool if it was an unlimited deal...but ends at the beginning of next year which gives us almost no time to think about it
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is interesting. If Windows 8 does not allow me to use the Start button after the release than forget it. I've come to love the search feature in W7.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I've seen, it doesn't make a lot of sense to us on anything but your physical machine. There are some graphical features that really don't work well in VMs. I think $40 is a reasonable price for upgrades (not for downgrades), and it shows MS is really trying to win over the consumer, as opposed to enterprises, with Windows 8.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    How come XP will be compatible with 8?
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HLRS wrote: »
    How come XP will be compatible with 8?
    You will lose programs and settings.
    Microsoft confirms Windows 8 upgrade pricing, System Builder edition | bit-tech.net
    God deserves my best
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I think this is the first time MS have shown any weakness, if they were as confident of initial sales as they have lead us to believe they would not have given such offer to end users. For a company that has buy one get one free offers for certifications that are going to expire shortly I would expect nothing less.
    Everything said and done this is a really shrewd move to get the maximum acceptance in the shortest period of time. I dont know if anyone has read the article which compares the offers that MS came out with for the launch of various OS and the confidence levels projected to the actual success of the OS. If I find it I will share it here, its an interesting read
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    *looks into MSDN and Technet accounts* - meh .. why bother :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I have this ME/vista feel and really think they are just trying to recoup some cost. Their release cycle since W2k has been good, rubbish, good, rubbish, good, etc.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll stick with Windows 7 it works great and I have had no problems with it. I see no reason to upgrade so far to Windows 8 after spending time with it.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Thank you for posting that, great info!
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If I am not mistaken if you buy a new computer from now till the end of january of next year an upgrade to windows 8 pro is 14.99 also.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to advertise but if you buy a computer from staples from now until then, it's free. After mail in rebate. I think it's 15 up front.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Hmmm...if I wait, maybe Microsoft will start paying people to move to Windows 8. icon_lol.gif
  • rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    even for that price im going to stick with windows 7 lol, I might just create a VM with the Windows 8 trial on it :p
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just bought an OEM copy of 7 last week since I only had a recovery partition. If I had known that the full version was going to be something like 70 bucks I would have waited and bought Windows 8.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to use it, just because it's M$ and M$ is huge.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    I think this is the first time MS have shown any weakness, if they were as confident of initial sales as they have lead us to believe they would not have given such offer to end users. For a company that has buy one get one free offers for certifications that are going to expire shortly I would expect nothing less.
    Everything said and done this is a really shrewd move to get the maximum acceptance in the shortest period of time. I dont know if anyone has read the article which compares the offers that MS came out with for the launch of various OS and the confidence levels projected to the actual success of the OS. If I find it I will share it here, its an interesting read

They actually did something similar with Windows 7.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/buy-cheap-windows-7-for-students-at-29-99-via-win741-ultimate-steal-offer/

Get Your Discounted Windows 7 Upgrade Now
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • nics11cnics11c Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITS Great thing to upgrade for windows 8 for windows 7