Options

Beginner Home Lab

deadhead85deadhead85 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for the CCNA exams, and am interested in doing the CCNP next. What hardware and how many is needed for a basic home lab?

I don't really know much about the hardware yet, but would like to start looking and piecing together a lab.

And on another noob level...how do I go about installing it? Will it affect my current setup? I have my modem plugged into a wireless router, then an ethernet cable attached to a switch to connect all my computers, WDTV Live, and XBox together. What is the starting point for installing the home lab?

Thanks a lot for helping out a noob! icon_study.gificon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    3 x 2620xm routers
    2 x 2950 switches
    cables
    rack
    some WIC cards
  • Options
    deadhead85deadhead85 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for the help!

...AND THE HUNT BEGINS!!!! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could also look into the 3550 Switches. I have two of them and find them to be pretty neat.

They can act like the 2950 Switches but they are also L3-capable so you can do routing with them too.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard that the 3560 switches will be very handy for the SWITCH exam.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    MAC_Addy wrote: »

mainly for implementing private vlans as the 3550s do not fully support PVLAN configurations. ipv6 support is also another big deal :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    MAC_Addy wrote: »

If you plan on going further than the NP soon, then the 3560's will be worth it, otherwise save your money and get the 3550's. Yes you need to know about PVLAN's, but you don't need to lab them, unless you are just curious, and then you can use the free lab at PacketLife.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are quite a few threads in the CCNP FAQ on lab-recommendations that go in-depth on what hardware to buy, what version of the IOS you need, etc. That's a great place to start looking around so you don't have to re-invent the wheel when it comes to doing your research.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.