Options

A question for those in the know..

and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm studying hard for the R+S written and was wondering what depth of detail is needed with respect ospf.. do I need to memorise the various packet formats for the differing LSA's within ospfv2 and v3, or just be aware of the difference.?

Andy
Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCIE is such a high level cert that you shouldn't probably just study what is being asked .. Besides, any definite answer would probably be against the NDA .

Some infos here :

Daniels quest for CCIE
    To become a CCIE you need detailed knowledge of OSPF. Most candidates will have read the TCP/IP Volumes by Doyle and maybe even the RFC written by J Moy.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    You don't need to know the actual packet format but you need to know area types and LSAs for sure. OSPF is pretty much as core topic as it gets, might even be the single most important protocol in the lab so you want to really know it. OSPFv3 is very similar to OSPF but it decoupled some of the address information and put it in other LSAs. That book in the link to my blog is very good if you want to really learn OSPF.

There are basically two methods to study for the written. Either you study to just pass it without going too deep and then start the labbing, the risk is your theoretical foundation won't be strong enough. The other way is to really learn the theory in depth and take no shortcuts. This will take longer time but you will have a strong foundation when you start labbing. Some candidates like to take the written as soon as possible and some take it closer to the lab. Remember that when you pass the written th 18 month timer starts ticking.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149