Bombed A+ Essentials Practice Exam???

DeepEmissionsDeepEmissions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon fellow forum browsers,
I cannot find a way to attach my exam results (.xps) but I scored a 58% on my A+ Essentials Practice exam.
Some friends say do not worry about it because that Exam has too much Net+ and thats why I didnt pass. But it kinda has me freaked out and now doubting myself on taking the real exam (220-701, 220-702) next month.
Currently I moved from Mike Myers Passport A+ to reading CompTIA A+ 220-701, 220-702 Cert Guide from PearsonVue, Tech last year took the test and is letting me borrow the book.
Ive been in the IT industry for only 9 months, but I have been working with computers for a very long time, you'd figure I could grasp A+ since most what I do now is some Net+ and very light CCNA (but I dont have Certs to show for it obviously.)
Should I steer away from trying to learn whats on the TechExams.net A+ Practice Exam?

I'm just looking for outsourced advice because I'm cutting it close and I need this A+ before my 1 year is up.
Obviously I wanna do this the right way and not use other methods deemed unholy by the TechExams.net gods, lol so really what should I do? Whats the right direction???

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Unless you just have $300 to throw away, I would highly recommend studying some more.
    I wanna do this the right way and not use other methods deemed unholy by the TechExams.net gods

Its not just the "techexams.net gods"... Dumping is offensive to anyone who actually worked to get their certs because it devalues the certification. Plus it is a professional claim to knowledge that you don't have...which could end up wrecking your professional career. This shouldn't even be a consideration.
  • ram1101ram1101 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    be prepare and confident for the test you must know the stuff if you want to pass, but of course remember and everyone that has taken a test and pass know this: you wont keep all you learn if you dont use it you will lose it. make sure you keep reading and taking practice test dont half pass a test and plus the A+ is just the beggining some other test are going to requiere more time practicing and reading a lot more.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for the_hutch. Your certification that the paper is written on would only be as good as colored toilet paper if you do not know the material on the exam. In addition, when you get interviewed other candidates will just blow you out of the water and you will be left wondering what you did wrong.

You should also look and find out why the answer is wrong and what the question was searching as the most correct answer. I know of 2 co-workers who took and failed the Sec+ because they thought it was easy and since they had 10+ years of InfoSec experience each it would not require that much effort.
    If you browse the A+ forum you will find great resources to help you pass the exam.

Good Luck!
  • DeepEmissionsDeepEmissions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Everyone! Is the book I am currently studying from a good idea? Since it came from PearsonVue I really dont know Either way.

The_Hutch: I didnt mean to offend, I mearly stated that because I knew it was not tolerated on the Forum at all. Yes I would rather bust my rump and get it myself then to use other methods. I've always been that way and this is really important to me.

Bigdogz: I plan on retaking the A+ Essentials Practice exam and start up on the A+ Practical Exam tonight and tomorrow. and yes every chance I get I will be checking out the forums for help.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    If you can get your hands on the CBT nuggets training videos for the A+ use them. In my experience CBT Nuggets is easier to follow then the books when something is completely new to me. But I always add the vendors book into my studying as well. Basically when i start a cert i start with CBT nuggets then add in the vendors book for things I'm feeling rough on or need to review. Its exactly what I'm doing right now with Cisco ICND2.

In my opinion the reason why there is more networking in the A+ then there was before is because everything relies on networking and if you're fixing a computer you'll need to use networking it some way. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some day Comptia combined the 2 certifications.

Also if you're having issues with Comptia tests you're going to have more issues later on. With my testing history this is how exam difficulty has gone for me.
    Comptia: easiest
    Microsoft: In the middle some tests were harder then others
    Cisco: ICND1 is the hardest test I've taken to this date.

That is honestly how it breaks down Comptia is all multiple choice straight forward questions. Microsoft is a mix of multiple choice drag and drop and simulators. Then Cisco has a few straight forward multiple choice questions but over 3/4s of it is working through analyzing the entire question.

I'm not trying to harp on you but, if you're just searching for a quick solution pass the A+ its going to hurt in the real world real quick.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • DeepEmissionsDeepEmissions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well you talked me into it, and the test I was referring to was about 2 weeks ago. I went ahead and retook the test just now and scored a 76%, still some questions didnt make sence to me but I will just have to look at the question harder and make sure I study hard. I struggle with test sometimes and work better hands on.
    I'll be happy for a while with A+, Security+, Net+ for a year or so.

No I'm not looking for a quick solution, I am only asking for suggestions to help me study. If I wanted handouts I know where to go.
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Watch Professor Messer's free A+ videos.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    kgb wrote: »
    Watch Professor Messer's free A+ videos.

+1, these videos are a BIG help. I would look at the exam objectives on CompTIA's website and make sure you are comfortable with all of the topics. If not, study more.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

The_Hutch: I didnt mean to offend, I mearly stated that because I knew it was not tolerated on the Forum at all. Yes I would rather bust my rump and get it myself then to use other methods. I've always been that way and this is really important to me.

No worries. Sorry if I came off preachy. I do get on my soapbox about that issue a lot. It just annoys me because I see so many people doing it. The DOD (and especially the military) is crawling with "IT professionals" that all have their required 8570 certifications but are about as technically knowledgeable as my two year old. Just be patient and you'll learn it. And you are right...most IT stuff is much easier with hands-on experience. That's why so many people on here have their own labs. Take advantage of any opportunity you get to get your hands dirty.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well you talked me into it, and the test I was referring to was about 2 weeks ago. I went ahead and retook the test just now and scored a 76%, still some questions didnt make sence to me but I will just have to look at the question harder and make sure I study hard. I struggle with test sometimes and work better hands on.
    I'll be happy for a while with A+, Security+, Net+ for a year or so.

No I'm not looking for a quick solution, I am only asking for suggestions to help me study. If I wanted handouts I know where to go.

Nice progress, keep it up!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer is a good resource, but be sure to read and practice test questions from at least 2 or 3 sources. If you're referring to the practice test on CompTIA's website, then I would study more. Not because you got a 58%, but because after the practice test, they reveal to you where you are weak, and when you know that you're golden. You'll have every reason to study more. I didn't do so well (not horrible though) on the practice test online with the Network+, but used multiple resources and used the breakdown of the practice test to go on to pass the live exam.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP